Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 09:30 PM

Default limp with AKo and raised, A on the flop

This is a hand I was involved in last night at a friends house. The stakes were 0.10 / 0.25 and we were 6 handed.

Stack sizes:
UTG ($20)
MP ($10)
Hero ($30)
BTN ($40)
SB ($20)
BB ($25)

Preflop: Hero is dealt AKo
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero call.

My rationale for limping:
I play with this group frequently and randomize my play to make my hands harder to read. I use the second hand of my watch to determine when to limp (20%) instead of raise (80%). In this case the second hand was in the 12 second range indicating a limp. The button is an agressive player and I am prepared to come over the top of him if he raises. He will often raise with hands as low 78s when on the button and a limper or two.

Preflop cont'd:
BTN raises to 0.75, SB folds, BB raises to 2.00, Hero calls

What was I thinking when I called:
The big blind is a fairly tight player. I know that his raise means he has a good hand. Probably, a medium-high pocker pair (99+) or better He could also have a big suited ace like AJ+. I also happen to have a good hand which I don't think anyone expects and I have position on the reraiser so I elect to call. Note, I would have raised myself had the big blind not raised. When I call, I assume the other players probably put me on a medium pair, like 66 - 88 and that if I hit an A or K on the flop I will be able to take down the pot. I am getting 3:2 pot odds and I am even money on most pairs and a big favorite againt the big aces. I am not too worried about the button behind me because he could have almost anything.

Preflop cont'd:
BTN raises to 5.00, BB calls, Hero calls

My thoughts:
Now I know I am almost certainly behind. I am probably up against at least two large pairs (JJ+) but I only need to put $3 in a $12 pot. I am getting 4:1 on my money, so I call.

Flop ($15):
Ad 9c Qh

BB Checks, Hero ($25)???
Old 07-19-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: limp with AKo and raised, A on the flop

So much money went in preflop that I guess there's not much room left to maneuver postflop. I mean, if you just bet $12 or so, that leaves you with a rather trivial-sized turn bet left to make if you get called.

So I think the push is all right, but I would still probably either bet smaller or check and hope the aggressive Button tries to represent the ace. I think I like that second idea best, although it will occasionally backfire when Button checks and then one of your two opponents spikes a set on the turn.

Obviously, you could already be beat by QQ or 99 or even AQ, but you are committed at this point.

Anyway, if you don't think Button will bet with less than top pair, then going ahead and pushing seems fine to me.