Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: second RB
Kevin Jones v. Seattle 4 44.44%
Mike Bell at St. Louis 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Taking care of your golf course.

I'm very good about ball marks on the green, and if I see others I'll fix them.

We don't have any sand on the course to fill divots with, and I usually hit divots so far and sometimes in pieces that I often don't replace them as often as I should, but it's usually because I'm last to hit (since I drove the farthest) and I don't want to hold everyone up by going 20 yards for the divot and coming back.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:36 PM

We're not supposed to replace divots at my course. Its bermuda and it just dies and makes the grass grow back slower. Plus my divots are in a million pieces anyway.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:27 PM

Practice hitting out of divots because lazy people rarely replace them. If you explode your divot, there is really no grass to replace. On a wedge shot if you cut a decent strip, replace the darn thing please.

Read an article on how to properly fix a ball mark (in from the sides - dont lift and tear roots)

Not fixing a ball mark means it will die and take maybe 3 months to grow perfect. You dont see totally trashed greens because....... Barely anyone hits greens - even me at an 8 hcp hit about 60% on a good day. practicing putting/chipping/wedges took 8 strokes from my handicap in about two years.

It is also good karma to take care of course.

JC
Old 07-18-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not fixing a ball mark means it will die and take maybe 3 months to grow perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

my god, where do you play?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:40 PM

Always and others, usually, and always.
Just habits I guess.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:32 PM

It is actually pretty standard for ball marks on greens to take between 1 and 3 months to grow back properly when no one fixes them. Same with divots only they can take even longer since we dont water the fairways really(only close to the green).
Old 07-18-2007, 05:01 PM

I used to play a course in Northboro MA a lot where the starter would assign each foursome a specific green to take additional care in maintaining. You'd still repair your ball marks, but once you got to 'your green', you'd typically do quite a few extra.

Those greens were always good. Solid procedure.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to play a course in Northboro MA a lot where the starter would assign each foursome a specific green to take additional care in maintaining. You'd still repair your ball marks, but once you got to 'your green', you'd typically do quite a few extra.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is BS, you are paying for the course to be maintained. If the course is decent they should have whoever is cutting the cups or mowing the greens do it. I always fix my ball mark but I would tell them to [censored] themselves if they expect me to do this during a round.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is BS, you are paying for the course to be maintained. If the course is decent they should have whoever is cutting the cups or mowing the greens do it. I always fix my ball mark but I would tell them to [censored] themselves if they expect me to do this during a round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't mind this policy if it was my own private course. Each of us could fix like 2 or 3 and the greens would be in fantastic shape all the time. I would have a problem going to play somehwere else and having the starter tell me this though.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:59 PM

Okay, I know I'm a noob so spare me the gtfo noobaments.

I find that most people don't do any of this stuff unless there is a maintenance person in sight of the group or the group consists of regular players. It really pisses me off when guys don't fix ball marks and then whine about the conditions of the greens. If you fix the [censored] ball marks then the greens don't look like [censored]. As far as divots go, if the divot is a good sized pelt then go ahead and replace it otherwise sand it since we do take the time to make the divot mix for customers to use.