Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Beat: My roommates are up $2.6M in 6 weeks and I work a 9-5

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
to nit up this thread -

sweating krantz and whitelime isn't going to do much for his game - HU at high stakes is a completely different game than mid-stakes 6 max.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, sweating them playing 200/400 HU isn't going to help you much playing $200nl 6 max. But having them around to sweat you and discuss poker with is surely invaluable. Krantz does run a coaching school and WL is one of the instructors, so they have plenty of experience teaching. I know I'd pretty much kill to be in OP's situation, what a life luckbox.

Really though, quit your job OP unless it's like a well paying career and not some dead end 9-5 job that I assume it is. Even in the first scenario you should take off temporarily and focus on poker. Makes zero sense not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker isn't really about specific plays, it's about thought process. You don't want to mimmic the exact move a woken up Emil might make, but understanding the how and why is probably a huge benefit.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol,

Evan was just recounting to me the story about j-mac meeting some random 2p2er and getting "OMG YOU KNOW EVAN!!!.... OMG YOU KNOW WHITELIME!!!!!.... You're j-mac, I have never heard of you".

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha, so so true.

[ QUOTE ]
though talking to them about poker concepts(both coached a lot IIRC not sure if they still have been) should be a goldmine

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said earlier, I do watch Emil and Jay play and talk poker with them, and I attribute a LOT of my success to Emil's help over the years. But in all honesty, I'm not completely comfortable with talking poker with them all the time. I mean, they're my friends, and it's only natural to talk poker because we all play, but at the same time, they're both very highly paid by many serious players for their poker coaching. I don't want to use my friendship as leverage to wrangle very valuable lessons out of them for free. Two roommates discussing various line options and learning from each other is one thing, me constantly asking Emil what to do in this hand and what to do in that hand is essentially coaching. I don't think they mind terribly (I hope) when I ask them questions, but I'm always self-conscious and try to be tactful when we're discussing cards.

A friendship is a symbiotic thing, and since I can't contribute anything to their poker knowledge I tend to be more comfortable discussing Scotch and movies.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:46 PM

dude ill obv help you for free, im sure emil feels the same way.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:47 PM

J-Mac -

I think that's a silly attitude, honestly. I know plenty of coaches (online) who also give away advice for free.

Having someone like Emil for a friend is like [censored] a stripper - you get better service for no cost at all.

(yes i realize this analogy breaks down very quickly)
Old 07-19-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you guys are in the same room have a verbal conversation =P

I am not your roommate but I am jewish, do i get free lessons? Help a member of the tribe out.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
OMG, coolest roommates EVA!

Has this offically become J-Mac's Well post? Cuz I got some questions if it is...
Old 07-19-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you guys are in the same room have a verbal conversation =P

[/ QUOTE ]

Note the thread title: I am at work.

Jay - That's awesome man, really good news, I appreciate it. This thread might end up being the most profitable one I start on 2p2.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Has this offically become J-Mac's Well post? Cuz I got some questions if it is...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as to what people could want to ask me, so sure, I guess. I am at work and will begin my long commute home in a little while, so I can't give the thread my full attention, but being at work hasn't stopped me from posting a dozen times in this thread already today.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:50 PM

Awesome.

1) Do you think statements like, "He made 4 years of my salary last night!" helps a guy like Krantz have a better appreciation of how much freaking money that is? Not implying that they don't get it already but I think throwing around the money like that online might make someone lose touch of a $18/hr working person and how fortunate a position they are in life to be able to do that.

2) Hypothetically, if both roommates coached you for 1 hour each night and staked you say $50,000 after 30 days of coaching, do you think you could quit your 9-5 and live off your winnings after 3 months of grinding with that bankroll?

3) Do your coworkers know how much your roommates make monthly? Cause that would be humorous.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:04 PM

this is a brag for you, a beat for us.