Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Any other way to play this?

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw I think this is a fold 100% of the time.. I dont think these players are that tricky to bluffraise here

[/ QUOTE ]What if its not a bluff and villain thinks his A4/A5/K4/K5 is good? AK almost always would raise PF and PPs often would. That means worse 2-pair are a big part of villain's range here. I call getting almost 3:1
Old 07-19-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he's in the sb yo

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure he is, but why does he HAVE TO play this hand? My experience with small offsuit aces isn't too good, especially OOP.
So again: why play this hand at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

ever heard of stealing blinds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I did hear of it. But this is NL Poker. In this hand your playing for full stacks, just because you wanted that lousy BB?
Hands like this are too weak for the heat. And so I'm generally folding this.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he's in the sb yo

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure he is, but why does he HAVE TO play this hand? My experience with small offsuit aces isn't too good, especially OOP.
So again: why play this hand at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

ever heard of stealing blinds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I did hear of it. But this is NL Poker. In this hand your playing for full stacks, just because you wanted that lousy BB?
Hands like this are too weak for the heat. And so I'm generally folding this.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you don't like playing stacks with 2p? crazy.

Raise PF + cbet = too profitable not to do with much, much, much weaker hands than A7. you really think he's going any farther with ace high if he calls the cbet?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Raise PF + cbet = too profitable not to do with much, much, much weaker hands than A7. you really think he's going any farther with ace high if he calls the cbet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. This is profitable, but I don't think it's a good play to do out of the small blind. I do steal the blinds, but not for stealing the blinds but for disguising my strong hands and balancing my play. But my standard play here was to fold preflop.
But a raise now and then is ok, too...
Old 07-19-2007, 04:05 PM

i bet more on flop and turn

unsure about river but as played its a fold
Old 07-19-2007, 04:09 PM

river is close. If the EV is so close either play is fine.

Every single drawing hand hit here.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:31 PM

Interesting hand OP

Preflop: Folding this is horrible. Stop being nitty. Any ace is a raise from the small blind. Villain has a random hand. Sure we are OOP, but we rate to have the best hand and we are a better postflop player than our opponent.

Flop: Standard cbet with what is also ahead of villains loose preflop range in this blind war. Make it a bit more though about 3.5.

Turn: Very tough spot. Villain could have hearts, but he could also have floated with a lot of other stuff. He is kinda aggressive too, so likely to take a stab if we check here. OP, I think your value/control bet is certainly reasonable. Villain seems like a monkey juding from his stats, so he might surely call with hands we beat on the turn here. The bet is fine. If we check villain will usually bet, and we are left in the guessing box for wether its a random stab with whatever he has, or a flush. Betting for value/control to let villain keep calling down since its a blind war and all, is clearly better IMO.

River:Same situation as the turn. If we check we let villain put the pressure on us and we have to start guessing wether he is bluffing or value betting a flush. Villain is a fish and this is a blind war. No way he is folding lower two pair here. I have been called in these blind wars on my final river 1/2 pot bet with the most marginal of hands. When you are dealing with a fish in a blind war, you can get value of the strangest of holdings. OP, fwiw your river bet size is perfect. Will squeeze value from weaker holdings, but at the same time its big enough that we won't have to worry about getting bluff raised.

As played, easy fold. What the heck would villain value shove with here that we beat? I'll tell you what, nothing. I can even imagine him just calling here with a set. To be honest I only think villain is value shoving a flush here, maybe 86. Yeah he'd probably shove 86, but thats about where it ends IMO. Random villains, especially bad ones, do NOT get thin value on rivers. If they have some kind of hand, they want to see that showdown. And I'll tell you another thing, they don't bluff shove rivers either. They bluff shove flops over a bet fairly often, turns more rarely, and they bluff shove rivers over a bet ABOUT NEVER. Well occationally with busted draws, but all the draws got here in this scenario. Villain has a flush or straight here about always. When this is settled, it is obvious that pot odds are irrelevant. Easy fold.

All in all: vnh OP. Played it to perfection almost.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting hand OP

Preflop: Folding this is horrible. Stop being nitty. Any ace is a raise from the small blind. Villain has a random hand. Sure we are OOP, but we rate to have the best hand and we are a better postflop player than our opponent.

Flop: Standard cbet with what is also ahead of villains loose preflop range in this blind war. Make it a bit more though about 3.5.

Turn: Very tough spot. Villain could have hearts, but he could also have floated with a lot of other stuff. He is kinda aggressive too, so likely to take a stab if we check here. OP, I think your value/control bet is certainly reasonable. Villain seems like a monkey juding from his stats, so he might surely call with hands we beat on the turn here. The bet is fine. If we check villain will usually bet, and we are left in the guessing box for wether its a random stab with whatever he has, or a flush. Betting for value/control to let villain keep calling down since its a blind war and all, is clearly better IMO.

River:Same situation as the turn. If we check we let villain put the pressure on us and we have to start guessing wether he is bluffing or value betting a flush. Villain is a fish and this is a blind war. No way he is folding lower two pair here. I have been called in these blind wars on my final river 1/2 pot bet with the most marginal of hands. When you are dealing with a fish in a blind war, you can get value of the strangest of holdings. OP, fwiw your river bet size is perfect. Will squeeze value from weaker holdings, but at the same time its big enough that we won't have to worry about getting bluff raised.

As played, easy fold. What the heck would villain value shove with here that we beat? I'll tell you what, nothing. I can even imagine him just calling here with a set. To be honest I only think villain is value shoving a flush here, maybe 86. Yeah he'd probably shove 86, but thats about where it ends IMO. Random villains, especially bad ones, do NOT get thin value on rivers. If they have some kind of hand, they want to see that showdown. And I'll tell you another thing, they don't bluff shove rivers either. They bluff shove flops over a bet fairly often, turns more rarely, and they bluff shove rivers over a bet ABOUT NEVER. Well occationally with busted draws, but all the draws got here in this scenario. Villain has a flush or straight here about always. When this is settled, it is obvious that pot odds are irrelevant. Easy fold.

All in all: vnh OP. Played it to perfection almost.

[/ QUOTE ]

great post/analysis fiks!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:10 PM

I agree with the preflop raise and the continuation bet. I am a bit sneaky so this is what I may do depending on how I feel about the player in the BB.

Sometimes players think if you bet again then you are still trying to steal and if he has any of that board he is going to call you.

I think I would have checked the turn and let him bet then quickly raise him to make him think I hit my flush or have an ace in my hand (which we do but better because we have 2 pair.) This puts the pressure back on him. If he reraises then he probably hit a flush or has a strong A then you can fold or call if you think your A7 is good enough. If he just calls then just check the river because he will either check as well or bet but probably not too hard (well not as hard as a total shove - unless he is a nut) because now he is guessing what you have and you can call to see if you can beat him.

I am new to this but not to poker so could you tell me what "villain is 35/6/2" means?

Krazy Kelson
Old 07-19-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah definitly check the turn and b/f the river if he checks behind

[/ QUOTE ]