Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best Cirque du Soleil in Vegas?
Mystere 3 12.50%
"O" 3 12.50%
Zumanity 1 4.17%
KA 5 20.83%
LOVE 4 16.67%
Never seen any before ... 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: When exactly did Sportscenter start to become unwatchable?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lupica and Albom would defer to Schaap, and he was able to rein them in (especially Lupica) when he became ultra-preachy. Also, his parting shots were consistently of a higher quality than Saunders.

[/ QUOTE ]

The show used to be a must-see for me, principally because of Schaap's parting shot. And very often they involved stories you had not read or seen elsewhere.

Rarely do any of the regulars hit that level now. Combined with Lupica run amok, it makes the show less enjoyable. I find myself watching it less and less. Maybe twice this year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Although I'm naturally inclined to dislike the spastic, geeky, nasally, know-it-all Lupica, for some reason I'm fine with him. Possibly because he seems to know what he's talking about.

I haven't seen a big change in the show at all over the years, really. Schaap's parting shot is maybe 60 seconds of a 24 minute show so it's not enough of a reason to stop tuning in. My beef with the show is that they give really short shrift to the NBA, routinely leading with football and baseball offseason stories when the NBA is the only thing going on, or when it's playoff time. Yeah, I get that as far as popularity goes, it's NFL >>>>>> MLB >>>> NBA, but it still grates.

[/ QUOTE ]

what grinds your gears?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Canadian version of Sportscentre aires on TSN, and while I personally despise TSN due to all of its coverage being terrible, and its commentators being absolutely moronic, I quite enjoy a couple of the Sportscentre people (Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole). They're purposely retarded, and it's actually bearable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until the fateful Sunday in September when NHL training camps open and it gets top billing ahead of Sunday NFL highlights .... this is a yearly insta life tilt moment for me.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Canadian version of Sportscentre aires on TSN, and while I personally despise TSN due to all of its coverage being terrible, and its commentators being absolutely moronic, I quite enjoy a couple of the Sportscentre people (Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole). They're purposely retarded, and it's actually bearable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until the fateful Sunday in September when NHL training camps open and it gets top billing ahead of Sunday NFL highlights .... this is a yearly insta life tilt moment for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh... ESPN is gearing up to do this with NFL training camps. Training camp is at most a one minute story, but I guarantee daily updates on Bret Favre/Dallas are forthcoming, even scheduled ahead of some excellent baseball games from the previous night.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:25 AM

The whole channel just sucks. They got caught up in their own success and forgot their core competency. When did it happen - probably 7-8 years ago.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:27 AM

I agree with a lot of the critiques, but I'm not sure SC viewership is really down a whole lot, and if it is it might be more contributed to how much all of TV is down.

We can complain about MTV being terrible to watch (it is), and SC not being as good as it once was (it isn't.) Still, lots of morons love MTV's reality shows still and I bet it is still pretty popular overall.

ESPN/MTV/Every other station is just trying to bring in the most viewers possible. It is their number one goal. Clearly, ESPN thinks Who's Now and segments like it will get more people to tune in than just completely covering highlights and analysis. SC also isn't as "needed" as it once was as you can get all the information you'd usually want at the bottom of the screen anyways on ESPN 2 and other channels. I still watch SC a lot, but I can't tell if it's out of habit or enjoyment [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since Stuart Scott.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doin it, and doin it, and doin it well!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since Stuart Scott.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Stuart Scott wasn't always bad. Him and Eisen were a really really good team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holla at a player when you see him in the streets!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:56 PM

LMAO, GIVE IT UP FOR POOKIE, RAY RAY, AND THEM!
Old 07-19-2007, 04:11 PM

From Wikipedia:

In 1986, ESPN became part of the Capital Cities - ABC group when ABC is purchased for $3.5 billion by Capital Cities Communications. In 1995, Disney purchased Capital Cities - ABC for $19 billion and picked up an 80% stake in ESPN at that time. Disney currently holds controlling shares in the network.

Therefore, the answer is 1995.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:00 PM

i used to like stu scott and eisen, dan patrick and ko.. now the only enjoyable anchor is scott van pelt and not sure how often he does it these days...