Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Engineering or Business

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, engineering is a very stable job. They are some of the few remaining jobs where you can basically just get a job, stick with it from college to retirement, and be fairly secure most of the way through.

[/ QUOTE ]

not really, engineers get laid off many times due to recession, outsourcing, etc.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, engineering is a very stable job. They are some of the few remaining jobs where you can basically just get a job, stick with it from college to retirement, and be fairly secure most of the way through.

[/ QUOTE ]

not really, engineers get laid off many times due to recession, outsourcing, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the field of engineering. Outsourcing is more likely in computer engineers than other kinds.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:03 PM

So the general consensuses here is to stick with an engineering degree.

Well if I do this what degree should I go for electrical, computer, or petroleum. I was looking at avg. starting salaries out of the undergrad program at my school and after last semester EE and CE were around 55k and petro was around 75k.

I have always wanted to own my own business out of school or go into trading if that is at all pertinent.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:25 PM

Don't look at starting salaries. Look for what you enjoy, or at least what you're good at.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't look at starting salaries. Look for what you enjoy, or at least what you're good at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I am not weighing the starting salaries that heavily I just happened to find them. But I'm not sure what degree would have more relevance to a more business oriented career or would be more helpful in getting into a solid MBA program.

Like I said I have always wanted to start my own company and I have found trading in the market interesting. Anyway thanks for the advice.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:21 PM

if ur on a poker forum and studying engineering your probably capable of making 20k a year just from poker. So yea don't let money influence you.

100% its better to get an engineering degree because of the flexibility and options, just because you study engineering doesn't mean you have to do that job. Graduating as an engineer basically shows that you are capable of doing / studying any job under high stress environments. They just want to see the degree then they themselves will teach you the job that needs to be done.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:29 AM

Hi,
I'm currently doing a double degree on the gold coast, engineering and business management, it seems great so far! personally I really appreciate freedom18 comments about not necessarily working as an engineer when graduated, I know someone who is a millionaire from selling power tools and he graduated an engineer lol, another is in their final year of engineering and has decided to trade fx for a while before getting a job because he is doing well. As for finance i think depending on the level most people can learn management concepts, money management, stock trading (my income lol) etc on their owns terms due to interest and drive where as engineering can only come really through a degree. just my opinion lol
Old 07-19-2007, 02:34 AM

I visited Lehigh the other day (yes still in H.S.) and they talked about a 5-year engineering/business program. When you graduate you have two degrees which is pretty sweet. Also, if you maintain a certain GPA over the first 4 years the 5th year is tuition free. So should I go to Lehigh?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:27 PM

Dude.. its not even close.

Do combined eng. and an MBA or eng. and a really good undergrad business. There are guys in my business program doing that and they dominate / often get sweet jobs.

You get the analytics from eng and then you dominate business - all you need to work on is social skills.