Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Need help designing a program (if possible?)

Hey all - this is my first post in this forum and I'm a bit of a fitness newb so bare with me.

A bit of background: I'm 19 years old, 5' 9 and about 135 pounds. I've only recently started going to the gym seriously again and stopped playing sports/doing much physical activity maybe 5 years ago. I am generally skinny except for my belly fat which I definitely want to get rid of. I also want to bulk up a tonne.

So basically I have two goals: Put on mass in the form of muscle and lose the mass around my belly. From the limited reading that I've done I have found those trying to put on weight told to eat, eat, eat, say 3k calories a day and a tonne of protein. Those trying to lose weight are told to eat 1800 to 2000 calories, low in carbs, healthy food, etc etc.

Basically: Is it possible to do what I want to do?

Currently I have been eating as healthy as I can with about 4-5 smaller meals a day. I'll drink a couple of protein shakes a day (30g each) and maybe a protein bar or two some days. I'm eating tonnes of chicken/salmon/tuna/etc and will snack on things like baby carrots or dry nuts if I get hungry.

I am working out 3-4 times a week and doing cardio about the same amount with a few rest days in between.

Any general advice for what I am trying to do (or better, links or stories about people doing the same thing?) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Roy
Old 07-19-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Need help designing a program (if possible?)

[ QUOTE ]
Any general advice for what I am trying to do (or better, links or stories about people doing the same thing?) would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Read the FAQ. Links are there.

2) There are probably a dozen people here doing what you're trying to do. Read some of the training logs.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:50 AM

I did read the FAQ and didn't see any links to what I am looking for really - but I did find some interesting stuff and read through it before posting here.

I'll check out the training logs. Ty.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did read the FAQ and didn't see any links to what I am looking for really - but I did find some interesting stuff and read through it before posting here.

I'll check out the training logs. Ty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm...well reading your post, it would seem that the Rippetoe and 5x5 links and the Berardi links would be exactly what you're looking for. What are you looking for that wasn't there? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2007, 12:26 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the bellyfat. You're tiny, your first goal should be to put on some mass. Do the rippetoe or 5x5 workout and eat everything you see. Once you're bigger and stronger you can start to trim down some of the extra fat.