Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Well, Florida, how did the first day of NL/$5limit games treat you

[ QUOTE ]
I was at a $1/$2 NL table this past Saturday at the Hard Rock.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I finally got a chance to play last Friday. it was mayhem. I was very dissapointed that the S&G's were taking an hour to start whereas before it was just a few minutes. So many are playing the N/L cash game that the S&G's are not as popular.

I waited in line for 25 minutes to get my name on the 2/5 list. Waited another 45 minutes before I finally bribed the kid manning the seating with a $20. The only problem was that he could only seat me immediately if I sat in a 2/1 game. I took it just so I could play.

I was surprised at the amount of action for a 2/1. Many pots exceeding $100. The players are even worse than in the S&G's. I happen to get up about $80 in about 10 minutes. I splashed around for awhile picking up some small pots while sizing up the table.
I had one those nights where I set up a few big traps and got paid off very well. I had two full houses that paid me well over $400 combined. And I got the table drunk to unload all his chips to me with a set of nines.

In all I walked out with $640 on my first nite playing 1/2.
At one point I was up a few hundred when they called my name for the 2/5. Of course I would have been an idiot to leave the table at this point as you have to start back at a $100 buyin.

It was fun to play but I prefer higher stakes and with the $100 buyin cap I doubt I will be leaving my private games anytime soon.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:08 AM

Played 1/2 NL at the Isle tonight after work for about 2 1/2 hours. I played a whopping 2 hands past the flop, and scooped both those pots and ended my session up $78. The players were surprisingly better, and the game was ultra tight compared to what I've seen the past few weeks around town. Many times there were only 2-3 to the flop, and limping in was next to impossible out of position as the players in position were raising the limpers out. I had to really hunker down and play super TAG. Folded KJ UTG without a thought and watched as someone raised to $12 and re raised to $30. Got lucky enough to pick up rockets on one hand but only got one guy to come along to the river with me. Although it was tougher, players still made many mistakes over and over, but it's obvious the fish are leaving the pond, at least somewhat. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2007, 02:12 PM

is there nowhere to play 10/25 uncapped now? is that likely going to come back?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is there nowhere to play 10/25 uncapped now? is that likely going to come back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not for a while unfortunately... I'd predict 1-2 years
Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 PM

Regarding the Daytona card room, is it run any better than it was about a year ago. It seemed like a real amateur operation last time I was there. Plus, the rake was ridiculous.

I've heard talk about the Florida game rooms going to a time collection rake. Anyone see any evidence of that?

The new law is a step in the right direction, but it seems like we still have a ways to go before we are completely legitimate.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Regarding the Daytona card room, is it run any better than it was about a year ago. It seemed like a real amateur operation last time I was there. Plus, the rake was ridiculous.

I've heard talk about the Florida game rooms going to a time collection rake. Anyone see any evidence of that?

The new law is a step in the right direction, but it seems like we still have a ways to go before we are completely legitimate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tampa Downs and the Sarasota Kennel Club operate with a timed rake and it's an absolute joke.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 AM

I was looking at the website for the poker room at the Naples-Ft. Myers Greyhound track and had a question. It list $2 "straight" limit and $5 "straight" omaha hi-lo. I haven't played in Florida before and was wondering what "straight" meant.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:46 AM

All bets every round are the same. In $2 straight, blinds are $1/$2, and every bet every round is $2. I think the blinds in $5 straight are $3/$5.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:56 AM

Does the $5 straight Omaha Hi-Lo game actually go at Naples-Fort Myers?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:22 AM

All rooms here in South Florida ran $2 straight games when that was the legal limit. Only one room that I know of here has a $5 straight game, and that's Dania with its double flop. There might be one or two other games around the area, but none at the three card rooms I frequent. I know Gulfstream tried to get a $5 straight holdem game running but couldn't get any interest for it.

I have no idea what they are doing on the Left Coast, though.