Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 03:24 AM

Default A Book for NL Cash Games

As far as NL, I have Supersystem, which is decent, the Harrington Books as well as Phil Gordon's Little Green book. I consider Gordon's book good, and Harrington's books excellent, if geared specifically towards tournaments.

What I would like to know is, which NL *CASH GAME* book do you all recommend? There seems to be a surprisingly slim selection of this niche. I did notice Sklansky and Ed Miller produced a book, "NL Hold em Theory and Practice," but I'm hesitant as I know Sklansky isn't known for his no-limit expertise, and truthfully I know next to nothing about Ed Miller. What do you guys think of this book?

I do notice that in a few days, Ed Miller is releasing another book that the write up says is specific to NL cash games...perhaps I should have held off on this thread until after that book came out. Again though, is Ed Miller considered to be a good source of NL poker info?

Beyond the above mentioned books, if there are any other books in the NL cash game genre that you guys would recommend, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2007, 04:39 AM

Default Re: A Book for NL Cash Games

If you liked the Harrington books and can hang on for a few months Harrington on Cash Games is due later this year.

I wouldn't be so quick to cast doubt on PNLH1. First, the book was primarily written by 2 high stakes regulars with Miller editing and rewriting for clarity. Second, an author's poker experience can be a poor guide to their ability to write a good poker book - Phil Hellmuth and TJ Cloutier are 2 of the greatest tournament players of all time yet their books are amongst the worst on the market.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:00 AM

Professional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume I
Old 07-19-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Professional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume IProfessional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume I

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2007, 03:47 PM

recommend NLHETAP, just given it a quick read: thought that a wide range of key concepts were well thought out, clearly explained and well compared/contrasted to limit. Bet sizing, pot control, etc all good imho.

Believe that this should be a must read for the experienced/ intermediate, small/mis-stakes cash game player. Tournament players can gain also.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:42 PM

Considering that NLH is the most popular as a shorthanded game, and anyway the best way to play it as a cash game, there's not any book out there, though the Gordon's Green gives the idea of how to play it but it contain just some mediocre preflop strategy one can pick from his net site and the advice to open-raise and raise basically always, so to play it heads up on the flop, and there he gives the idea of dividing it to situations of having the position and not having the position, and being the last raiser or not being the last raiser. And some ideas of how to play different type of hands, though I play them as much just the opposite so it's basically of no value. And that's all one is going to get from it considering what's not contained in the Sklansky and Miller book as the theory of no-limit holdem, the rest being about preflop strategy and thinking mainly about the flop (that contains all other streets also).

For a flop strategy one needs to think the flop type and all the types of hands one may have from draws to sets and how to play them in all those Gordon situations in the game one is at and vs. the different type of opponents. When one agrees with one's analyses, then that's it. It won't mostly be found from the books as it's just simple logic.

For full ring there's nothing I am interested about nor should anyone else be interested about but one definitely should not play like at super system that's only additional material to players who already know how to play well and can think; the super system's NL is only as good as the player who reads it. The S&Mi book gives enough material to play full ring, as long as one doesn't limp as much until the game is loose or maybe passive.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen, brother.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For a book that hasn't even been released yet, yer really all about it aren't u.

Anyway, thanks to all for your comments and advice.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For a book that hasn't even been released yet, yer really all about it aren't u.

Anyway, thanks to all for your comments and advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody here feels compelled to have actually read a book to offer an opinion about it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2007, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as NL, I have Supersystem, which is decent, the Harrington Books as well as Phil Gordon's Little Green book. I consider Gordon's book good, and Harrington's books excellent, if geared specifically towards tournaments.

What I would like to know is, which NL *CASH GAME* book do you all recommend? There seems to be a surprisingly slim selection of this niche. I did notice Sklansky and Ed Miller produced a book, "NL Hold em Theory and Practice," but I'm hesitant as I know Sklansky isn't known for his no-limit expertise, and truthfully I know next to nothing about Ed Miller. What do you guys think of this book?

I do notice that in a few days, Ed Miller is releasing another book that the write up says is specific to NL cash games...perhaps I should have held off on this thread until after that book came out. Again though, is Ed Miller considered to be a good source of NL poker info?

Beyond the above mentioned books, if there are any other books in the NL cash game genre that you guys would recommend, please let me know.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure that there are no immediate plans for a cash games NL book. Sorry. I heard negranu is writing one. It is supposed to be out some time in 2012. Nope. No books on the table right now.

http://www.twoplustwo.com/

Nope, just checked the front page of the website. Something about a sit and go book but nothing I can see for cash games.

+EV