Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Diomed\'s Summer Logs and Blogs

So here it is. I've completely put this off for too long and it's time, it's time for something different. I've been thinking about this a long time and now it is consuming me........

I'm a fatty.

I have been for a while but I realized it but never really realized it, you know what I mean? This probably sounds completely insane but I just tried to push it aside and not think about it but it kept coming to the surface.

A month ago I started working out in spurts and consulting with a gym owner friend of mine but nothing ever got concrete because my obsession, this cult compulsive obsession with bad foods that tasted good I just couldn't discard. These foods were my identity, they were my comfort, my friend, my nightly stress burner, and ultimately my enemy... Well no more. Well hopefully no more, this is what this blog sent out to the masses or the one person who happens to read it who didn't write it is for.

I've set my sights on the Everest of my life and that is a healthy lifestyle : mind, body, and soul.

The past couple of years of my life have been a blur in reality and I haven't felt like I was challenged or progressed as a human being and that really brings you down not growing, not having a solid existence. But things are changing, slowly, but changing....

Today I spent 30 minutes on one of the most grueling exercise machines that I think man has ever created the "stair stepper" Gosh that was fun (note sarcasm here) but you know what? I kept pushing myself and pushing myself and by the time it was all over I had this rush of adrenaline go through my body and it was completely worth it.

There was a running magazine that I was flipping through a few weeks ago and an ad came up about the Chicago Marathon and the 26.2 miles of hell that followed and somewhere in the back of my mind a revelation came to me and said "You can do that, fatty." No seriously, that is what it said and this seed was planted and now it is growing and growing and most likely this is one of many reasons why I wanted to get off my booty and change. So the goal now (which I never think long term so I'm also changing this as well) is to dump the weight, change my lifestyle, my attitude, my existence, and run this race in 2008. I think its doable and that is one of things I am working towards. (read below)

Minutes after the stair master it was time to get my legs going, going towards the goal, towards Chicago 08', towards whatever it is I was searching. I hopped onto the nearest treadmill, type all the standard information in : weight, age, incline, speed, social security number, shoe size. And I was off running at a 13:24 mile pace. So it wasn't exactly the best of ideas for a 288.6 pound man (just weighed today) to start a pace like that and it is true I didn't make it the whole mile but 3/10 of the way to the mile my lungs started gasping. I had felt this before and new that I had to get those idle lungs back into exercise shape. I left the treadmill with my IPod and water bottle smiling because I knew I had taken the first step to a dream, to a new life, to a new whatever and whatever tomorrow brings I know that I am one step closer to achieving whatever it is I want out of this life.

Keeping my eye on the prize, I'm outtie 2000.

Diomed
Old 07-18-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Diomed\'s Summer Logs and Blogs

Above is a blog from a week ago. I need to get on the ball though and keep up with this.

Update. I'm 285.4 pounds. Working out everyday for an hour at the gym doing cardio and weight training at home along with a very physical work job. My problem has and continues to be what I am putting into my body. I'm a sucker for [censored] food and I'm just trying to get away from anything that is nasty all together.

I'm also considering some more advanced weight workouts. And if there are any suggestions out there along with the FAQ I would be open ears. Anyways I plan on updating this daily, this is my obsession this summer, this weight needs to be gone and I'm committed to doing it the right way.

Diomed
Old 07-18-2007, 06:53 PM

What are your diet and lifting routine like?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are your diet and lifting routine like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please more info... the more you give the more feedback you can get.

Also...major respect for realizing your issues with respect to weight. I think millions of people just let it slide and or lie to themselves and from the sound of things you've got more character than that. I wish you the best of luck and please continue to post here and ask any questions you may have... fwiw I have a friend who's a bit worse off than you; especially since he hasn't hit that "self discovery" stage yet... I'm glad that people do get to that point though and do want to work to turn it all around
Old 07-18-2007, 09:59 PM

Thanks for both of the comments they are much appreciated.

The diet is very skewed and lately I have been having a protein shake (muscle milk) in the morning before I work out, then throughout the day I am splitting up another 5 meals for grilled chicken breasts and salads. But I find that as it gets late I'm really craving something more and since I have been working out a lot more I just tell myself no and I know that is not right. I need to get a more set eating schedule but I strive for every 2 1/2 hours. My problem is fast foods and it seems with work that once every other day or so I eat something that I shouldn't.

My workout routine is fairly simple. I am a newbie to weights so I have been doing 3 sets of upper body workouts 3x a week. All with free weights. Boy can I feel it as well I've never really lifted and it feels good afterwords.

In addition to that I have been doing an hour of cardio 5x a week on a treadmill with the program set on hill which is more of an interval type of thing. I started the incline at level 6 about a month ago at a 3 mile per hour average and am now up to a level 17. I enjoy this, because I push myself pretty good and for some reason the eliptical hurts right above my knees when I do that machine.

If you have any other questions feel free. I need to adapt, I'm good at pushing myself when I'm in the gym. My weakness is food.

Also I'd like to thank you for the comment about acting on my fatness. Because for the past two years I was ok with just getting fat even though I have a degree in exercise science and knew the right way to live. I was always active but a depression was there about a few things. Now, though, there are a lot of things in my life that are going well, I'm on a solid foundation and I want this more then anything. I know these are only words but I really want to be the most fit person I can be and it won't come overnight and thats the struggle but I am good with it and want to act now.

Just came home from work by the way, walked to and fro, it was beautiful out. I'll await everyone's response

Diomed
Old 07-18-2007, 11:33 PM

I took digital pics and hung them on the fridge.