Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: bowling fanatics

I had no idea about the oiling issues.

It seems that only part of the lane is oiled. Are the measurements from the pins or the line?

Or to put it another way - which 1/2 of the lane is oiled - the start or the end?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If by "static," you mean constantly changing, then I agree with you. (Your own description of changing balls and changing release belies your complaint of the sport being "static".)

At the pro level, the players never throw the ball at the same target two shots in a row, they have to change their targets every shot. Where they play in the lane is greatly dependent on who the bowler's opponent is playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The second part of this is incorrect (mostly). I have crossed pairs in some regional events and not have to change my line in a single game at all. The last one I can remember is playing the Cheetah pattern with 4 other guys on the pair, all of them playing the huge bounce off the 2 board. During practice I decided that I wasn't going to fight transition each and every game with them so I took to floating it starting at 6 and out to 3 with much less hand. I had a consistent shot the whole day, only having to adjust to a lane once I got to it. Once you get about halfway through the block you might have to adjust each shot, but simply adding speed or giving less tilt can allow you to play the exact same line for a few frames.

On other patterns where you are forced to play onside with everyone, then you can come down to having to adjust each shot - especially at the end of the block. This is where you have to closely watch each player, know if they hit their shot right or not, and adjust if needed based on that information.

Oil loads play a big part in how long you can keep a line. I am agreeing though, at the end of a block it is quite regular to have to make an adjustment each frame. I don't know this to be true for "every frame" in a set though.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had no idea about the oiling issues.

It seems that only part of the lane is oiled. Are the measurements from the pins or the line?

Or to put it another way - which 1/2 of the lane is oiled - the start or the end?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll throw out the answer since I am already here.

The front portion of the lane is oiled. The shorter oil patterns (normally) are as close as 34-36 feet. The longer patterns (tend to be tougher for the recreational bowler) can go out to 40-44 feet.

On a 'house shot' you get a much higher load of oil in the center compared to much less on the outside. This lets the ball hold in the middle if you miss inside, and if you miss outside you get more friction to let the ball come back liek you are expecting.

One of the toughest patterns is run for a PBA event each year. 50 feet of oil, flat from gutter to gutter (no more in the center than on the outside). If you miss your target you are most likely not striking. If you miss on your rotation or tilt, your ball has nothing to help it recover. You have to make every shot perfect for it to be good.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your analysis shows that you don't know much about bowling. it's not just repeating shots; lane conditions change as you bowl, and you have to adjust. it can be very challenging.

aside from that, there is something very meditative in achieving the same basic motion over and over. when you're in a bowling groove it is a fantastic feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Co-sign, hardcorestyle. I haven't bowled in like 2 months, but I was hooked for 2 months straight prior. Every single day I was playing and then I randomly quit going. I still have my ball and shoes, so I guess I should go again.

Highest game was 255. My throw is still kind of weird as I don't bring the ball back very far. I had to learn how to shoot with 3 fingers which took some time, but definitely improved my game as I had much more control over the ball.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At least your knuckles don't swell to the size of walnuts playing darts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming we are talking about bowling, this is most likely largely due to you not using a personal ball. Your knuckles and wrist are much more likely to become sore and swollen when you're required to use a Vulcan death grip on the ball. I bowled for a month or so straight with a lane ball and my wrist was too sore to pick anything up afterwards. I could instantly notice the difference with my own personal ball.

Also, you're [censored] at bowling and you throw the ball incorrectly.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:27 PM

Sport bowling is the biggest joke out there. It's goal was to attempt a universal playing surface from coast to coast, but it's impossible. The only thing it creates is a harder difficulty than that place currently offers. I drive 8 miles down the road and can bowl on 2 "identical" sport shots and it is totally different. Depending on what type of pins, pinsetters, lefty/righties and 5 other things each place has, it has an impact on your results.

The only way to directly compete is with people in the same place as you. A guy averaging 190 at one place is not any worse than a guy who averages 220 in another place.

fwiw I averaged 231 in the winter compared to 196 on a sport shot this summer. 231 doesn't mean anything w/regards to skill againist anyone in a place I've never bowled in. It was the highest in my center, which is the only thing I can gauge my skill againist.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:37 PM

I never had any repetitive pain or swelling once I learned how to throw properly. When I was bowling a lot it was certainly still much less than a pro but I routinely played 25+ games per week for a good 5 months in college. Bowling can really hurt if you do it wrong though. When I was first learning to throw a hook with my thumb in I was straining my thumb and could barely write for two weeks.

This thread is really making me want to go bowling.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:47 PM

Like most people, I started bowling with 3 fingers, in a granny shot motion, with my entire arm fully extended behind me. I first learned to put spin on the ball by throwing it sidearm, with no thumb (shoutouts to my dog, what it do SHAWTY SHWATY SHWAYT!!!). I then learned to whip my hand upward with 2 fingers, and put a more controlled spin on the ball (this is still using the [censored] house balls which are barely effected by a spin).

Then came the tricky part: putting spin on the ball with all 3 fingers. I'd repeatedly try, but always end up using 3 fingers the same way I'd originally learned, only now I would twist my wrist shortly before release, resulting in the ball spinning directly down the line. I practiced and practiced, and finally learned to use 3 fingers with a decent spin.

My wrist was soo [censored].

I then bought my own ball, a 13 lb. red Pulse, aptly named Ol' Blue. I also copped some cheap shoes and began my tear at becoming a solid bowler. I capped out at a 167-168 average (I still had plenty of old games included, back when I couldn't spin and still used the crummy house balls). I randomly stopped going and I haven't been back since. I also almost got into a fight with one of the owner's during closing time, but decided against it as I couldn't afford to be barred from the bowling alley (this dude was a major [censored] sucker).

I feel like bowling right now.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:03 PM

Skeme,

More action-packed career bowling highlights pls.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 PM

Cardo,

How's the job search coming? If you can fly out to Seattle I will give you $12/hr to tend to my new lawn. Unless of course you won't do it because the grass is "too grassy."