Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Going to Cuba as an American?

I highly doubt the US government would care if I went to Cuba, let alone someone who can do so on a British Passport. I'm sure you will be fine.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:56 PM

Do all your traveling on the British passport. Leave USA with Brit passport... leave Mexico with it. Return to Mexico with it. Return to US with it.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you be disbarred or anything if the government finds out and decides to prosecute you?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is my worry. im guessing probably not, since it usually has to be infractions or whatever reflecting on your moral character. but who fekin knows

anyone see a problem with using my US passport to get into mexico, then british thereafter? will cuba care that i dont have a happy mexico stamp? I would want to do this cause when i get back to the states i would like to tell them that i have been in mexico, with a mexican stamp on my US passport

and good call on the not using credit cards there. my ass prob would have done it

anyways, i think im gonna go for it. castro cant live much longer!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 05:59 PM

You can go legally on a humanitarian mission to Cuba from the US as a US citizen. You can also get away with using a non-US passport to go to Cuba as a tourist.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Could you be disbarred or anything if the government finds out and decides to prosecute you?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is my worry. im guessing probably not, since it usually has to be infractions or whatever reflecting on your moral character. but who fekin knows

anyone see a problem with using my US passport to get into mexico, then british thereafter? will cuba care that i dont have a happy mexico stamp? I would want to do this cause when i get back to the states i would like to tell them that i have been in mexico, with a mexican stamp on my US passport

and good call on the not using credit cards there. my ass prob would have done it

anyways, i think im gonna go for it. castro cant live much longer!!!

[/ QUOTE ]at most you'll have to pay a pretty bad fine

as for entering mexico on a us passport and living on a british one, well brits needs a visa to enter mexico right? the immigration officer will look at you funny when you'll try to leave Mexico as you won't have a visa & proof of legal entry in mexico on your british passport...

I'd say do entry in mexico > cuba > mexico > out of mexico on british passport and reenter the usa on usa passport ?

the problem with doing it all with an american passport is that even if Cuba don't stamp it (they wont) you'll have a time gap as your passport will show you exited mexico (when going to cuba) and reentered afterwards, what exactly are you going to tell the us immigration if they ask you where you were during that time?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:28 PM

U could tell them that you went to Canada during that time... Canada doesnt Stamp US passports ATM(a few months ago anyways). Does anyone know if MEXICO is stamping US passports?
Old 07-18-2007, 04:51 PM

When Castro dies the embargo does not end. Castro's brother takes over. The UN wanted the embargo lifted for years. My wife is Cuban and hates Castro, but the are lots of people in Cuba who love Castro and hate and resent the US for blocking anything from getting into there for the last 50 years. It's petty and regardless of Castro the US has put untold suffering on the people when they really did nothing to us compared to say Germany or Japan or USSR. They all tried to destroy us in the last 75 years and we've rebuilt 2 of the 3 of them. The USSR bought Cuba off to get closer for missles. There is no reason to need Cuba now to attack US and with satelites it could never happen.

When all the Castro's are gone, not much will change. They have a big friend in Chavez and with that fear no embargo gets lifted anytime soon.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:01 PM

I have a friend who lives in the Cayman Islands (American Citizen) who goes to Cuba to party all the time. He says it's awesome. I sent him an email asking about the restrictions or whatever and will report what he says.

I'm pretty sure that if you are going to Cuba from another country (other than the US) it is no problem.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ding ding ding! trouble or no trouble, i really want to make it out there before that bastard goes to hell. one of the last bastions of true communism left, im really interested in seeing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hear nk is nice this time of year
Old 07-24-2007, 07:58 PM

I went in 2000 (am American). Flew from Seattle to Mexico City to Havana to Mexico City to Seattle. Mexicana Airlines tickets were bought via their ticket office in Mexico City.

I got a small stamp in my passport, it did not say Cuba. I did have 2 entry stamps for Mexico within a couple weeks of each other. That would have been hard to explain. My plan was to say I flew down there, crossed back to US overland and flew back. (yeah right!). Anyway, I did not mention Cuba when returning from Mexico City and immigration did not ask me. I took all my Cuba souvenirs and mailed them to myself from Mexico City.

My belief is that it is a law that exists to prosecute a very specific set of people, and I am not one. So I went and did not have much fear about it. Had a wonderful time. Havana is a great city, the people were wonderful and the beaches we went to were great. And we stayed away from the fancy beaches (Varadero [sp?]), prefering to stay close to Havana in a local area called Guanabo.

If you do go be sure to hit the major cemetary in Havana and a baseball game. I also brought about 15 baseballs and 5 mitts which I gave away everywhere I went. The kids went nutso over that stuff.

KJS