Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Weighing the odds in sports betting?

he posts in the sports betting forum from time to time..i'm sure he would happy to answer any reasonable question about it you might have...maybe he'll come here and give an overview of the book
Old 07-16-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was just curious more than anything as I haven't heard about this book before. Not on Amazon or Conjelco

[/ QUOTE ]

here's a link http://professionalpoker.com/IP.php?...;productID=153

[/ QUOTE ]

I have it on order. The book release date in July 16th and we should have it available to ship within 1-2 days of that.
Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Just got off the phone with the Publisher. He expects them to be in our hands sometime next week. The books have to ship out from the printer in the Midwest to the Pi Yee office in Vegas and that is expected to happen in the next day or two.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:19 AM

Additionally, Yao has written several sports betting articles for the 2+2 magazine. You should go read those to get a feel for the type of stuff he writes about and his writing style. I don't sports bet, but I could see myself buying this book anyway because the subject matter is pretty interesting to me (the quant stuff, that is).
Old 07-18-2007, 12:33 PM

I PM'd Mat Sklansky asking permission to start a thread announing my book. I haven't received a reply yet, but I noticed this thread, and figured there was no need for a separate thread. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

As mentioned, I write a monthly article on sports betting for the Two Plus Two Internet Magazine. The next two topics will be on the NFL Preseason (August) and Power Ratings in the NFL (September). Weighing the Odds in Sports Betting is written in a similar style as my articles and my limit hold'em book (Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker). If you appreciated the articles and/or my poker book, I'm pretty sure you'll appreciate the sports betting book.

The first section of Weighing the Odds in Sports Betting deals with basic information about sports betting that are important for all bettors.

The middle section of the book deals with issues and wagers in specific sports.

The last section of the book deals in general information about sports betting that is relevant in all sports.

Here are the chapters in the book:

Chapter 1 Introduction 19
Chapter 2 Basics 25
Chapter 3 Ways to Win 45
Chapter 4 Sports-Betting Market 57
Chapter 5 Scalping & Middling 69
Chapter 6 Hedging 79
Chapter 7 Hedge Mistakes 91
Chapter 8 NFL Season Wins 99
Chapter 9 NFL Parlay Cards 111
Chapter 10 NFL First Halves 119
Chapter 11 Office Pools 127
Chapter 12 Super Bowl Props 135
Chapter 13 March Madness Pools 145
Chapter 14 NBA Playoffs 153
Chapter 15 Baseball: First Halves 161
Chapter 16 Baseball: Totals 167
Chapter 17 Racing’s Triple Crown 173
Chapter 18 Futures 185
Chapter 19 Tips for Handicappers 195
Chapter 20 Tips for Bettors 203
Chapter 21 Handicappers 211
Chapter 22 Sports Bets in Unusual Places 225
Chapter 23 Internet and Media 231
Chapter 24 Interview with a pro 237
Glossary 243
Index 249

As far as I know, professionapoker is the only outisde source carrying Weighing the Odds in Sports Betting as a pre-order option (see his posts in this thread). That is very much appreciated...thank you!
Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as I know, professionapoker is the only outisde source carrying Weighing the Odds in Sports Betting as a pre-order option (see his posts in this thread).

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazon Pre-Order
Old 07-18-2007, 02:34 PM

King,

The writing style of your books is remarkably similar to Stanford Wong's. Wong has an unusual style of writing and your first book was written in a very similar pecuilar way.

I was wondering if Wong actually cowrites or writes the material for you.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The writing style of your books is remarkably similar to Stanford Wong's. Wong has an unusual style of writing and your first book was written in a very similar pecuilar way.

I was wondering if Wong actually cowrites or writes the material for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,
Stanford initially edited the chapters in the Hold'em book, but then it was turned over to a professional copy editor. For the Sports Betting book, Stanford edited it with no copy editor. For my articles, usually it is unedited. Stanford doesn't see those at all. Sometimes I send them to friends who will take a look at comment on content and/or grammar/structure, but lately its rare that I finish an article with enough time to send it around.

100% of the content and ideas in everything I write is mine, unless I attribute it to someone else.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:39 PM

Thanks! That must have just come up yesterday or today.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:22 AM

King,
I understand your loyalty to the publisher Pi Yee Press but I have a complaint about all of their books that I own including yours: The paper/binding quality is terrible and they fall apart after one read. It seems the glue or whatever that is used to keep the pages in doesn't work very well and once one page falls out it you start to lose the next twenty or so. I have several chapters that I would considered "filed" within the books now as opposed to still being part of it.

I did like the information in your book and I do enjoy reading your articles though.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks! That must have just come up yesterday or today.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome.

Will the basics (such as terminology) be covered well enough that a true newbie can understand the material that follows?