Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Need a good solid mousepad to play on lap/leg

For the foreseeable future I will be 12-tabling SNGs in a dark corner in my bedroom without much space, where there is basically only room for the monitor on the desk. It has a pullout tray for the keyboard, but there isn't space to the side for a mouse, so for now I've been playing on my lap using a clipboard with a magazine covering it to make the surface a little smoother [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'm looking for a nice mousepad that's sturdy and won't bend when I put it on my leg to use the mouse (it's a good optical one). Money is really no object so long as the thing doesn't cost over $100 or anything like that. I've been looking at gaming mousepads and a few have caught my eye, this one is the one I like the most I think:

http://www.xoxide.com/ulti-mat-mousepad.html

There's a whole selection of them here: http://www.xoxide.com/mousepads.html

Really the most important thing is that it's not going to bend or break on me when I use it, so all those flimsy rubber ones are out the window. Just looking for anyone's personal experiences with these kind of mousepads.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:39 PM

Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent
Default Re: Need a good solid mousepad to play on lap/leg

Have you considered switching to a trackball? I had a similar situation, got a trackball, and love it. YMMV.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:43 PM

I use a vinyl covered mini 3-ring binder, about half the size of a regular 3-ring binder and it works fine. Most any hard back book should work fine as well. I'm surprised the clipboard didn't work, I've never seen one too rough for a mouse. If you are having problems with the opitical mouse jumping around get some printer paper and use that.

Why would you spend money on something you already have lying around the house?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you considered switching to a trackball? I had a similar situation, got a trackball, and love it. YMMV.

[/ QUOTE ]
I might go try them out somewhere, but idk it sounds kinda difficult to make quick clicks playing 12 tables with a trackball, and occasionally 15-16 when I'm feeling ambitious.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use a vinyl covered mini 3-ring binder, about half the size of a regular 3-ring binder and it works fine. Most any hard back book should work fine as well. I'm surprised the clipboard didn't work, I've never seen one too rough for a mouse. If you are having problems with the opitical mouse jumping around get some printer paper and use that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well it's not that the clipboard is rough, or that the mouse is jumping around, it's just that if I'm going to be using it for at least several hours every day I think it'd be worth it to invest in something a little nicer. Also from the reviews I've read, people seem surprised with how much better their experiences are with a quality mousepad.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:00 PM

I think a gamepad is faster than a mouse, especially with some of the scripts in the Software forum, and takes no deskspace at all. Check out TableNavigator for easy gamepad setup.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well it's not that the clipboard is rough, or that the mouse is jumping around, it's just that if I'm going to be using it for at least several hours every day I think it'd be worth it to invest in something a little nicer. Also from the reviews I've read, people seem surprised with how much better their experiences are with a quality mousepad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same problem on wood paneling which is when I discovered using paper from the printer as a surface. If you keep the LED in the mouse clean it will work just as well as a more expensive pad with a good mouse.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I might go try them out somewhere, but idk it sounds kinda difficult to make quick clicks playing 12 tables with a trackball, and occasionally 15-16 when I'm feeling ambitious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you considered using something like macroexpress to reduce the need for mouse movements? I have been using it for a few years and am quite happy.

If your setup is cramped/uncomfortable this could be quite an improvement. I have a logitech mx mouse, and for example, one of the binds is 'fold' to wheelright. This alone is pretty huge. But you can also bind in check/call, your standard opening raise, all-in (for those pushfest donkaments), etc. In fact you could go mouseless and have everything bound to the kb.

I was somewhat concerned that this could make me appear 'botlike' but a guy from Stars CS actually suggested macroexpress. Never had any problems and may have my lack of carpal tunnel to thank for it.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you considered using something like macroexpress to reduce the need for mouse movements? I have been using it for a few years and am quite happy.

If your setup is cramped/uncomfortable this could be quite an improvement. I have a logitech mx mouse, and for example, one of the binds is 'fold' to wheelright. This alone is pretty huge. But you can also bind in check/call, your standard opening raise, all-in (for those pushfest donkaments), etc. In fact you could go mouseless and have everything bound to the kb.

I was somewhat concerned that this could make me appear 'botlike' but a guy from Stars CS actually suggested macroexpress. Never had any problems and may have my lack of carpal tunnel to thank for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is something I'd be interested in as I'm not real big on the idea of getting a new input device for what I do. I'm actually pretty comfortable with my set up now, it's just I'm pretty sure it could be even better with a few small improvements. The only functions I think I'd need would be if the fold box could be checked easily, and something that would make the slider go all the way to the right (all-in) so that I'd only have to click the raise/right button to actually push then. Is there some sort of script for this Macroexpress, kinda like AHK?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is something I'd be interested in as I'm not real big on the idea of getting a new input device for what I do. I'm actually pretty comfortable with my set up now, it's just I'm pretty sure it could be even better with a few small improvements. The only functions I think I'd need would be if the fold box could be checked easily, and something that would make the slider go all the way to the right (all-in) so that I'd only have to click the raise/right button to actually push then. Is there some sort of script for this Macroexpress, kinda like AHK?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could write your own script for ME, but the quickest is just to use the record function then edit the generated script.

As an example: for fold you just record, then click the fold button/checkbox, end record, cleanup the macro a bit with some editing (get your delays and mousemove commands pared down) set the scope (only triggers on PokerStars windows for example) its done.

Basically any function you are performing with the mouse and/or keyboard you should be able to replicate.