Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: CONGRATULATION JERRY YANG!!!! 2007 main event CHAMP

Congratulations Jerry Yang.

Hmong Pride. This is going to be good for the game because Hmong/Asian are sick gamblers. BTW, I'm Hmong haha. He's going to be all over the Hmong Media in USA/World.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, to all the people who are complaining about the money that wont be back in the poker community....
are you [censored] kidding me? you're serisouly whining about how your degenerate ass, MGM Mirage and Harrahs aren't going to have access to the money instead of charities called "Feed the Children".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the gist of this one. Nobody is complaining about the money going to charity, they're complaining that he won't, a la Jamie Gold et al, donk off the non charity money at high stakes cash games.

This is not supposed to be thread attacking other viewpoints, it's the show some love thread. There are plenty of other threads for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, Jamie Gold only brought $100k to HSP, I'm sure Yang could be convinced to do the same. And he'll definitely be playing more tournaments with the money as well, some of this will trickle back into the community.

To everyone complaining - how much do you think Raymer has given back, Hachem?

Tuan Lam who came in 2nd is a 200/400 regular on Stars, think he'll be donating much other than maybe moving up to 300/600 or 500/1k where 15 people have a shot at the money.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:33 PM

Post-game interview with Norman Chad --

Yang: "I come to this tournament, and I meet you, and I am honored to be in your presence. It was a great moment for me to meet you. And now I sit with you again at the end of the tournament. I am so blessed." [Or something close to this]

Chad stares back without the slightest reaction, thinking: "I have no clue who you were before this final table. I don't remember meeting you. And, until now, I had no idea what you actually looked like, with the black jacket, black hat, black shades and hands covering the remainder of your face. But nice game."
Old 07-18-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow this guy is really crazy, talking about praying for a 4 in the flop and then hitting it, he says (paraphrased) "I have seen proof of God's miracles"

mir·a·cle
Pronunciation[mir-uh-kuhl]
–noun
1. an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.

Silly Christian...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you gotta admit its a miracle Jerry won. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Much as I like the guy's humility and backstory, I was totally creeped out by the near-fundamentalism of the praying for cards. Hoping as hard as you can is one thing, but this was something altogether different.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, to all the people who are complaining about the money that wont be back in the poker community....
are you [censored] kidding me? you're serisouly whining about how your degenerate ass, MGM Mirage and Harrahs aren't going to have access to the money instead of charities called "Feed the Children".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the gist of this one. Nobody is complaining about the money going to charity, they're complaining that he won't, a la Jamie Gold et al, donk off the non charity money at high stakes cash games.

This is not supposed to be thread attacking other viewpoints, it's the show some love thread. There are plenty of other threads for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, Jamie Gold only brought $100k to HSP, I'm sure Yang could be convinced to do the same. And he'll definitely be playing more tournaments with the money as well, some of this will trickle back into the community.

To everyone complaining - how much do you think Raymer has given back, Hachem?

Tuan Lam who came in 2nd is a 200/400 regular on Stars, think he'll be donating much other than maybe moving up to 300/600 or 500/1k where 15 people have a shot at the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure Hachem was a winning cash game player before he blew up in the donkament, and Raymer's solid though has been known to donk off a bit in O/O8.

Meh, I was just making the point that nobody is hating on him giving to charity.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody wins. A nice genuine guy wins alot of money for charity and his family, he'll get free buy ins to tourneys where he will give money to the poker community, and he will show the conservatives and congress that poker players can be god fearing, American loving, charitable good guys.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate the phrase QFT, but this is a awful analysis in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

[b] FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
How does one who gets free buyins give money back to the community?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's great he won wearing a Full Tilt hat, it'll be nice to see the newbies come to Full Tilt, after watching the final table in September, instead of poker stars

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of stupid quote makes my week. Firstly people dont take any notice of what someone's cap says, it certainely wont influence where they deposit $$$ of their cash. They go online, join a forum and ask around.

Secondly roughly 85% imo play more than one site and the bottom 25% play PS and FT. So it doesnt matter whos [censored] cap or tshirt they are wearing.

You think I'm going to go buy the Family Guy DVD's because Kalmar had Stuey on his shirt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically everything you said is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-18-2007, 02:00 PM

I watched the pay per view up until the Rahme/Yang AQ/QQ hand at about 3:30 ET and then went home. I'd sort of like to read the amazingly huge thread on the FT, but it's unlikely I'll read through all of that, so perhaps somebody could fill me in.

I found Yang's table persona annoying, between what I considered excessive slowness and the "I will glorify your name" nonsense. I'm sure he's a nice guy. But I was a bit surprised that Gordon was railing on him so much for so long about how bad he was playing. I actually thought Yang was playing quite nicely. Certainly he was by far the most aggressive and really set the tempo. There weren't many moves I saw that I thought were horrendous in the time I was watching, the JT call against Kravchenko being the only one that looked bad.

I actually really liked the A9 call against Watkinson's A7 shove, given Yang's image at the table at the time and the positions in that hand; I expected Watkinson to be shoving all kinds of nonsense there. The AT call against Lam's KQ, after some thought, I think I like as well - it was a limped pot, Lam seemed unlikely to play a mediocre J that way, and there were enough drawing hands that I think you can justify it. I can be convinced on that one.

Anyway, it looks like some people here still weren't that impressed by Yang, so are there any major hands that I'm missing after I went to sleep (from the last 3 hours of the tournament)?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His religous zeal was totally fine and unobtrusive.
He wasn't getting in anyones face about it, he wasn't trying to get into other peoples busniess, and he never even went to it unless it was all in with no action left. Totally appropriate. Just cause you all hate Republicans doesn't mean you have to take it out on a guy whos grateful to some universal diety for the fortunes in his life. He's even giving to secular charities that we all can agree with.
For as much on air time was given to Lee Watkinson and his freakin chimps there should be 10 times for this guy.

Also calling him a complete donkey is a little much. My only one real critism of his play was the wild range of open raises at the full table. That did show a lot of inexperience. But hey, he is unexperienced, and frankly he played pretty damn good for someone with two years experience. Think back to when you had only been playing for two years and how bad you were.

I would say the way rahme played kings, and the danish guy played his bottom pair, mid flush draw with ONE card to come, and Watkinson's totally uneccassary overbet with his life on the line with A7, were all incredibly worse than anything yang did.

Also hes going to be a way better ambassador considering hes the average joe giving to charity and acted like a complete gentleman throughout than the guy who had to go through legal actions just to get his payout because of shadyness with deals.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's great that he's giving 10% to charity and bravo to him for doing it.

But his prayers at the table for a specific card, or a miracle, were completely over the top and ridiculous, not to mention contrary to scripture.

[ QUOTE ]
But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

[/ QUOTE ]
--Matthew 6:6

[ QUOTE ]
Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. "If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down. For it is written: 'He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'" Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'"

[/ QUOTE ]
-- Matthew 4:5-7 (referencing Deuteronomy 6:16)
Old 07-18-2007, 02:11 PM

Congratulations to Jerry Yang as well! He really dominated the final table.

Sure he got lucky in spots (e.g., the J8ss vs KhJc hand), but he also got unlucky in spots too (e.g., the QQ vs. AQ hand). Just looking quickly over the all-in & call confrontations, Jerry won six of these and lost six of these. However, he was the clear favorite five times, the clear underdog three times, and the rest were rough coin flips with pocket pair vs. overcards (in which cases he had the slight edge with the pocket pair three times).

One could determine more carefully by computing the actual probabilities whether he actually won more than his fair share of these confrontations, but it doesn't seem that way to me.

While he may have played some hands in a way that might be either unconventional or somehow exploitable, his opponents failed to make the adjustments needed to counter him.

It's easy to be critical of someone from the comfort of your home, where you can quickly skim to see accurate chip counts or trends. But playing under the lights and pressure of the WSOP ME final table, for a substantial amount of money, after some pretty exhausting sessions, is another matter entirely.

Jerry seemed to handle himself well under the pressure. I personally thought he came off as a genuinely nice person on the interview, and think having him as the reigning ME champion is good for poker. It may help remove some of the negative perceptions and stereotypes associated with poker players, which is great. Also, the story of an inexperienced relative newcomer parlaying a satellite win into a huge score (especially considering Jerry was one of the few non-professionals at the final table) will hopefully attract many more people to the game.

A number of people were critical of him repeatedly mentioning god during his interviews. I personally have no issue with it. He didn't do it in an obtrusive "you'll all go to hell if you don't accept Jesus" kind of way. But he simply seemed humble and thankful to have good fortune on his side.

It's a refreshing change to have a poker player actually acknowledge providence rather than claiming that they only won because of their perfect play and skills.

So once again, congratulations to Jerry Yang! And good luck with your tenure as a poker ambassador.