Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Chicago Marathon

You've definitely got the ability to do it, you just need to put in the time and stay healthy. The best advice I can offer is that you have to put in the miles. There are no shortcuts. You can't "gut out" a marathon like you can a 5k.
I ran a 3:12 to qualify but did not run in Boston.
Good luck.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:12 PM

I'm kind of in the same boat. I can average a 7:30 over 6 miles without too much trouble, but since I've never done any distance, I have no idea how my body would hold up with any pace close to that over the whole race. That combined with the fact that I'm deathly afraid of over-training and injury (can't waste that 125$ entry fee!), is giving me a wait-and-see-what-happens approach to things. Since it is my first race, I guess it really doesn't matter if I do "well", it would just be nice to run to my full potential.

Also, do you guys run your race with headphones? I know in many running circles it's a hot point of discussion, but I'm curious to hear your opinions. What percentage of runners do you think do it during the race?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:15 PM

For your first race I would not be overly concerned with time...you learn a LOT during your first marathon. I would just run/have fun/enjoy the experience.

Headphones I am on/off with...depends on the mood. As for running in the race, it is against the rules to run with them: RULES

Chicago is not as strict as other races about headphones, but you can certainly be booted from the race if they so choose. I didn't run last year, so I don't know if they have stepped up enforcement.

Personally I don't care if people wear them or not, as long as they have it low enough to hear what is going on around them. What pisses me off is when someone has it cranked so high they can hear "on your left" or a car coming up behind.