Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: no limit holdem/future of limit holdem?

"think that is a little on the high side for both nl and lhe. If your making 50cents a hands playing 2-4 nl then discussion is over because you will be able to crush your lhe winrate just on volume alone."

well, i dont mean sitting at every nl table available and crushing. i sit with fish. my nl table selection is far more stringent than limit simply bc its harder for me to recognize all but the super terrible players.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:19 PM

Fair enough. I think the bottom line is how much more is a comparibly skilled nl player making vs a lhe player. If your making close to the same amount playing nl (victor) than I would conclude that nl games are much easier to beat relative to their lhe counterparts.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:31 PM

"If your making close to the same amount playing nl (victor) than I would conclude that nl games are much easier to beat relative to their lhe counterparts."

agreed and well put. and i think that was what i was getting at with my comparison. imo 2/4nl is easier to beat than 10/20 limit for the same amount.

not sure if this is true at higher limits but i would imagine for me its easier to beat 30/60limit han 5/10 nl.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:35 PM

I have been very worried about the strength of the limit community as well, and I think we are somewhat to blame for not "marketing" our game better. There is a perception amongst casual players that no-limit is the action game when the opposite is actually true. Whenever a casual player ends up in my game from a no-limit game I am sure to point in a joking manner how nice it is to see a turn card once in a while and have big multiway pots. Lets convince the fish that it is fun to make bad peels without having to call pot sized bets.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:12 AM

Totally agree. I don't want to write a novel on this but hand reading is so key for any type of poker and lhe is far and away the best training ground for this and the main reason why I think lhe players can fast track the nl learning curve.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:16 AM

Victor,

empty your pm box I just tried sending u a message.

i don't care to speculate on the future of lhe because i think it's just that, speculation, and it is pretty silly to begin estimating when lhe will make a come back and how strongly, or when it will become extinct etc. because it's just impossible to know any of these things with the slightest degree of confidence.

lhe isn't as ripe for making money as it used to be but there is still definitely water in the well. thus, my plan is to keep sitting in the good lhe games while trying to peice together a nl game on the side/in my spare time. i think that is a wise approach for any lhe player these days.

also, i am sort of baffled as to why the popularity of lhe is waning. people say because they televise nl but like 5 years ago when the televising really started to take off it was LIMIT that was booming and continued to for the next 4 years or so, all the while they were still televising 95% nlhe. i don't see what catalyzed this collective movement away from lhe and towards nl. sure does suck though.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bankroll in relation to hourly rate is much smaller at nl. i think winrate of a decent 2/4nl and a decent 10/20 lhe is close to the same. proly around 50c a hand. i would say equivalent, fairly conservative, bankrolls are 8k and 20k respectively.

naturally this shows that the downswings are indeed much smaller in relation to $/hand at nl.

[/ QUOTE ]

After 3-beting and 4-beting became so popular its next to impossible to play NLHE with 20 buy-ins unless losing half of your money in one hour doesnt bother you.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL
Old 07-18-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well, ive played like 30k hands of nl (2-4 to 5-10) and my biggest downswing was 6 buyins. suppose i just ran hot.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL
Old 07-18-2007, 12:52 AM

actually it was 600ptbb = 12 buyins. right?