Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 03:33 PM

Default I don\'t know when to fold

Hi, I'm having a problem, I think I'm a little too maniac, you guys can tell me some tips when It's the time to fold. Example, you call PF with QhTh in middle after 2 players limp, 5 players see the flop = Ks Tc 2d
when and how we see that we are beaten?

Another Example, you raise with JJ late after 2 limpers, they call flop A T 5
When we fold? And why? How you detect?

When you raise and don't flop a thing, when you need to give up? anyone of you guys fold 2 pair because are almost sure the villain made a flush on the turn or river?

I'm loosing a lot trying to steal the pot, this is a noob style I think right?

I just wanna know when I can fold and not feel guilty about this =/

Any tips?
Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: I don\'t know when to fold

Your question is just too general. It would be nice to know the action and the player types before we choose what to do.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:51 PM

Your are way to general. Your 1st question is too vague, so much depends what your position is, what action has taken on the flop, your pot odds ect. You probably need to read sshe.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:52 PM

Can't really answer without specific hands. But if you're last to act with second pair and no one bets, I'm usually betting the flop and turn and frequently the river as well. I won't even consider folding until someone else bets or raises me which would indicate second pair is probably not best.

I really don't think it's a good mindset to have to limp preflop and raise it up and see a flop and immediately start planning a way to get out of the hand cheaply. It's better to observe the information at hand to see if folding is worth it rather than automatically assuming you're beat.

As per your example, two limpers, you raise JJ, they call. Flop of AT5. Assuming someone automatically has an ace and starting to look for an exit strategy before anyone even checks to you is not good. If someone donks, determine how likely it is that they have an ace and then consider folding, or if they check to you bet the flop and if raised, then consider folding. Assuming you're dead on the flop just because there is an ace there is just asking to get run over by any and everyone.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:02 PM

Seriously, get this book and read it. It will help you to learn how to recognize the dynamics involved with either of the hands you are describing.

Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big with Expert Play
Old 07-17-2007, 04:05 PM

Try this: click on "Search"; put "+hand +reading -re:" in the keyword field (without the quotes), select Subject Only, and search for the last 2 years. Read those threads. Then come back and look at your question again.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm loosing a lot trying to steal the pot, this is a noob style I think right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, and this. If you think you have the best hand and do a fair amount of betting and raising, and then someone draws out on you on the river, you're going to lose a fair amount of money. There isn't anything to do about that really. For example, you have AK on a AKx flop with two of a suit. You bet, someone calls, someone raises, you 3bet, they both call. Blank turn, you bet they call. Flush hits on the river. You bet, someone raises, you both call and you lose to the flush. It sucks that you lost money on the hand, but there is no other way to go about doing so. And really, you're going to make much more money in the long run jamming in a situation like this rather than playing passively assuming that the flush is gonna get there and missing out on value bets when you get called by worse hands if the flush doesn't come in.

If the pots get big and you don't win, you will lose money since you contributed to the big pot. However, if you find yourself going to war with weak hands in small pots, you're probably going too far and that is more of a problem. For example, if there is one limper and you limp behind with 76s and get a flop of QJ6. The limper bets. Here, your hand is much weaker and you really don't want to be trying to bully people around since it's less likely you're ahead and the pot is small enough that it's not worth spewing over, this is a good place to fold and save your money for another spot. While seeing a flop and figuring you're automatically behind even when your hand is strong is bad. It may be even worse to see a flop and assume someone is bluffing when you don't have much of a hand yourself and think you can force them out which results in you putting a lot of bets into the pot against someone who has a better hand and won't fold it.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:17 PM

Ok I will try to understand this concept, small pots it's better to go only with solid hands and large pots we jam with weak to try to win outs by making others to fold?

when I know when it's big or when it's small?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:18 PM

sorry about the general question, it's because I really don't know when I'm fu...ing my game =/
sorry
Old 07-17-2007, 04:25 PM

this is one of those things that you get better at the more hands you play, honestly

it's the same idea that makes you call down correctly with bottom pair or ace high in some situations, and makes you fold good hands in other situations