Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Bluffing

Anyone willing to share their thoughts before or during a bluff? No, not "please don't call"... more like, do you pick your spot and know what hand you want to represent before the flop or do you let the flop define your hand? Do you have set betting patterns you follow representing a big hand but not anything card specific? Do you prefer to use them as late position steals or use them from any position as big hands? How often do you not intend to bluff but miss the turn or river and then decide... or do you know in advance that if you miss you will bluff anyway? Do you change your process depending on what limit you're playing? Thanks.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Bluffing

Well, I dunno if this will help but HOH helped me tremendously in learning what might be a good bluffing situation. That part of my game has definitely improved since reading his books...now my problem is taking it too far, meaning bluffing too often and paying the price...slowly learning moderation.

One general rule that seems true is that, bluffs notwithstanding, players tend to raise pre-flop with higher cards so if you are in a pot that's raised pre-flop and three low cards hit, unless one of your opponents had a high pair as opposed to AK or AQ...that is a possible bluffing opportunity...that is where the current situation comes into play...have you bluffed at this type of pot yet? how many times? how recently? etc....
Old 07-17-2007, 04:00 PM

My experience is that you generally need a combination of actions to represent a specific hand. A raise preflop followed by a ragged flop with only one high card may well get you the pot with air if you continuation bet. An out of position check call (signifying draw or overcards) then a check raise on the turn when the flush card or higher board card comes might win you the pot.

Your image and the playing style of who your trying to bluff cannot be overstated. If your trying to bluff a player that will call with bottom pair or is clueless to what your trying to represent then you're just wasting money. If you're seen as an extremely loose bettor / raiser you're more likely to get called down. (you'll get paid off more too)

So consider those things and then when you want to bluff ask yourself this, "Is my action here consistent with my previous actions and does it make sense." You're goal is to be telling a story through your bets. Does your story make any sense? Is it believable?

Good luck
Old 07-17-2007, 04:21 PM

Definitely recommend HOH for this question. Agree with the preflop raise then the rag flop can be a good bluff situation, esp if you called in the blinds. Can be trouble though if the person was raising with a big pair though. Also, when a "scare card" comes, it is an opportunity. For example, 2 spades are out, then the third falls, good op to bluff if you don't put the other guy on spades. This is just my humble opinion, I am still a noob.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A raise preflop followed by a ragged flop with only one high card may well get you the pot with air if you continuation bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

A continuation bet is not a bluff.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A raise preflop followed by a ragged flop with only one high card may well get you the pot with air if you continuation bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

A continuation bet is not a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really. Lets say I open raised with 5,6 suited on the button and the big blind calls. FLop is A,9,3 rainbow. He checks, I bet..How is that not a bluff?

EP limps in, I raise from MP with KQ. Flop is A,7,3. He checks I bet. Bluff? (of course that doesn't mean I don't have the best hand).
Old 07-17-2007, 04:46 PM

No, its not a bluff. It's a continuation of your lead bet. Yes, even with air.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:47 PM

Check this out too.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluff_%28poker%29
Old 07-17-2007, 04:58 PM

Bluffing is simply betting when you aren't sure you have the best hand. THe fact that it's also a continuation bet doesn't matter. Actually it does. The fact that you raised preflop and then will bet your strong hands sets up you to bluff when you miss. Your opponent could have a small pocket pair or bottom pair but be afraid you hit top pair.

Another example. Opponent limps with A,5 suited and you raise with KQ. Flop is J,9,3 with none of their suit. THey check, you bet, they fold. You have the worst hand but your play forced them to fold fearing you already had a made hand or possibly had an Ace with a better kicker. Either way they're drawing very slim.

But maybe we just have different defintions of bluff and we'll just have to agree to disagree...... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2007, 05:04 PM

When a lot of limpers I raise 3-4 times the big blind pf to display that I have a hand. Then I either cb or if a A, K, or Q hits I will bet. This usually works for me pf. If there is 2 to a flush or straight on the flop I will check the flop, and if the turn brings the completed card I will bet. If the river is blank and doesn't bring another flush or straight card then I will bet again and that will usually work as well.

Now I might add I play small stakes, and freerolls so if you are high stakes player these strategies may not work, I don't know.

Best Regards