Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Why Scotty?

[ QUOTE ]

So, Why Scotty Why? He's human, he made mistakes, and maybe he did have a couple too many drinks, maybe he got tired, didn't adjust to his newfound stack, or whatever. It was a disappointing, probably avoidable demise, but good run, baby!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-17-2007, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
his exit interview made me like him aprox 100x more.

shame he busto'd. i'll be cheering in the future

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

shame he busto'd. i'll be cheering in the future

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?

[/ QUOTE ]

from pokernews.com

day 6 Scotty Nguyen Eliminated in 11th place
http://www.pokernews.com
Old 07-17-2007, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, totally agree. I'd never seen him speak before and couldn't really understand why he was quite so popular. But after the PN clip it's very clear why people were rooting for him. Very charming and appealing personality.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:55 AM

This interview of Kevin Kim is funny, about his reads in his big hand against Scotty.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1.) We knew more than Scotty did. The calling station tendencies of this field were overwhelmingly clear to anyone sweating the coverage. It's hard to believe he had the same sense of where his opponents were.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did we know more? Wouldn't Scotty, who was actually there, know much more about the opponents tendencies than us?

[/ QUOTE ]

He couldn't see all the players on all the tables. You are correct, though, that if the table he busted out on had been stable for much of the day, then my point would not be valid.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This interview of Kevin Kim is funny, about his reads in his big hand against Scotty.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG that was by far the longest explanation I've ever heard for a read. A highly specific read, at that. Funny that he was completely wrong all the way through.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:57 AM

I NEVER thought he would limp in with 87 of spades. Is this an unconventional play somehow?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:03 PM

Like I posted earlier, I love watching Scotty play. He's probably my favorite pro to watch. I was basically crushed when I woke up and found out he had busted, when I went to bed he had 17 million.

Looking back on it, I honestly think the crowd got to him. He was basically nursing a short stack for so long, that when he got rollin and the crowd got behind him, he started taking chances he normally would not take because the adrenlin was flowing. We've all been there before. Who hasn't put in 6 hours at a poker table, just pushing the money back and forth, and all of a sudden you go on a huge rush. You start playing hands you normally wouldn't, you start trying to push people around at the wrong time. Now factor in the crowd who is basically exploding every time you win a pot. The people love you, you want to show the love back, you want to win for them.
Now, I've ever never had anyone cheer for me at a poker table, but I've been on insane rushes before. I was also a star basketball player in a big 5A school, so I know what that crowd can do for you when you hit a big 3 to take the lead with 10 seconds to go. Combine the card rush with the crowd, and I can easily see why Scotty went insane.

Problem is, he has done this before and knew it. Anybody who has seen him interviewed after busting from WPT final tables has seen this interview before. It's a damned shame somebody in his corner didn't pull him aside and tell him to cool off, you've got the final table made, just cool off.
Whether he would have heeded this advice is questionable, but I think he needs somebody in his corner to let him know when to back off a bit.

In the end however, the guy won almost $500k for 6 days worth of work. So it's not like it was all in vain.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:10 PM

nice post NickyC, good form. Post more often