Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 04:28 AM

Default My reverse value float turns into a bluff on the river

Okay, I think this is an interesting hand, and there are probably good arguments to play all streets differently.

Villain is half terrible/half tricky. He's pretty laggy and over aggro. Stats are 25/19/3. He c-bets 99% of the time. Seriously. He also will fire two barrells on boards that are unlikely to have hit his opponent. But he'll also do things like push over a flop check-raise pretty light.

Anyway, so my plan with these 6s is to let him do the betting for me. Also, I figure raising is likely to isolate hands that have me killed and fold out anything worse. Of course, the problem with never bringing the hammer down is that I give myself no protection from scarecards...

Anyway, so the flushcard ace falls on the river, and I donk for pot (or close enough). my logic was 1) his range is pretty broad, and the ace could well be scary to him both as an overcard and as a flushcard, and 2) if I check he could well bluff me off the best hand.

Thoughts?

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $167.00
Hero (BB): $507.60
UTG: $40.00
CO: $262.90
BTN: $224.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $8.00</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $6.00

Flop: ($17) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $12.00</font>, Hero calls $12.00

Turn: ($41) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $30.00</font>, Hero calls $30.00

River: ($101) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $84.00</font>...
Old 07-17-2007, 04:31 AM

Default Re: My reverse value float turns into a bluff on the river

hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it.

1) he could v easily have the flush.
2) I doubt u call a flush draw on the turn.
3) You never have an ace here, ever.
4) The first 3 were enough
Old 07-17-2007, 08:03 AM

Always amazed at how uninteresting people find the hands I post based on responses (not that such a response is always unjustified, but still).

Anyway...

<font color="blue">1) he could v easily have the flush. </font> Yes, he could have the flush, and he would likely play a flush draw this way (though I think a lot of the time he would check behind on the turn with a fd), but I don't think it is a significant part of his range. Based on my read of this particular player I think that a lot of the time we're up against overcards or just random junk here. The river is scarier to me because it's an ace than because it's a flushcard. I think to a large degree the ev of this bluff depends on whether it will fold a pair of aces or not.

<font color="blue">2) I doubt u call a flush draw on the turn. </font> I actually probably call here with a fd more than I should... anyway, this is SSNL, I think from villain's perspective it's perfectly reasonable that I would play a flush draw like this.

<font color="blue">3) You never have an ace here, ever. </font> Not often. AT I would usually re-pop pre, but not always. If I called pre I would c/c the flop and turn more often than not. Again, though, this is SSNL. This particular opponent has called my steals out of the BB with J2s. I think it's terrible, but in his mind A2 or A3 can't be out of the question.

Beyond that, though, I'm repping the flush, not the ace. The ace is just extra incentive for him to fold a T or JJ or something in that range.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:15 AM

Fold preflop.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's bad.

[ QUOTE ]
He c-bets 99% of the time. Seriously. He also will fire two barrells on boards that are unlikely to have hit his opponent. But he'll also do things like push over a flop check-raise pretty light.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-17-2007, 08:19 AM

I think that with a bet so big on the river, that ou are soley repping the flush here and for that reason im not soooo sure I like it. I mean a half pot or so while obviously risky could be an ace, or if you have been pretty loose, could even be the straight. With that said, I sill dont mind it as you said, if he can fold an ace here, its not too bad but I highly doubt its folding out anything better than that.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:37 AM

I would have 3 bet him pf...as you didn't I don't like it...You could have taken control of the hand on the flop by leading or check-raising...

...How often have you been defending your blinds...? Basically calling him down and leading on river A is donkish...

If he has 2 pair or AT+ he calls you...