Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Re: aba caught bluffing against bobby baldwin in 1.8mil pot

I don't know what to tell you. He is a dealer at the bellagio and says he was the one who dealt the pot. The details of the hand could be off cuz he said he gets nervous when the pots get that big. I guess we'll find out when aba posts the hand.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:35 PM

only a moron would win a million dollars at a cash game and then turn around and give the gov't 40% of it.

you keep the damn $400,000 and use it as part of your bankroll so that you can make more.

you pay taxes on your tourney winnings and other earnings only because you have no choice.

maybe when you hit the age of 50 do you give uncle sam "the world's biggest strong arm thief" a cut of your winnings. maybe 10% at the most.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
only a moron would win a million dollars at a cash game and then turn around and give the gov't 40% of it.

you keep the damn $400,000 and use it as part of your bankroll so that you can make more.

you pay taxes on your tourney winnings and other earnings only because you have no choice.

maybe when you hit the age of 50 do you give uncle sam "the world's biggest strong arm thief" a cut of your winnings. maybe 10% at the most.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh???
Old 07-17-2007, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh???

[/ QUOTE ]

come on dude, i would guess that 99% of cash game players underpay their taxes.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh???

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess that 99% of live players dont have any taxes to pay.

That hand seems very very odd to me. I look forward to an edit - though the time isnt that late with all the travelling i wouldnt be shocked if he were tired and simply misremembering the hand. No way this is accurate:

"Someone limped UTG Bobby raised pot and I reraised pot with A567ds (I think; my hand doesn't matter though since I had no pair and no draw). The flop came QJT with two hearts. I fired pot of about 66K. He called and the turn came a 4 making a second flush draw in clubs. He checked again and I fired pot of about 200K. He called and the river came an off suit 9. I fired pot again for about 600K and he called with AKxx with two clubs."

I dont play 1k/2k PLO so cant comment on the preflop, flop and turn. But im pretty sure check calling the river with the stone cold nuts and Brian still having chips behind is not the best play for BB here.

Though if this were Brian betting the last of Bobbys chips on the river, it makes a lot more sense.

Also, lol @ Sponger. Nice level with the tax evasion stuff [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh???

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am just a regular joe that plays online for fun, let me ask you guys, do you guys pay taxes on your winnings? I just assumed you did, I mean all income is taxable and if you have have a job or if you make $8,450 or more from your winnings/employment, you have to file. So don't most file? I mean it would be pretty dumb for these guys not to, I mean you can see how much and who won on most online tournys, I would figure the IRS would find it pretty easy to verify that you made a certain amount if you were audited. Cash games of course would be harder, but hell all you have to do is look at the UB Leaderboard and you can figure if someone is constantly in the top 20, they are making over $8,450 from their winnings. Sure you may lose it all back, but that would mean you still would have to file. So do most online players file/claim their winnings on their taxes? Maybe it's a dumb question.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh???

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am just a regular joe that plays online for fun, let me ask you guys, do you guys pay taxes on your winnings? I just assumed you did, I mean all income is taxable and if you have have a job or if you make $8,450 or more from your winnings/employment, you have to file. So don't most file? I mean it would be pretty dumb for these guys not to, I mean you can see how much and who won on most online tournys, I would figure the IRS would find it pretty easy to verify that you made a certain amount if you were audited. Cash games of course would be harder, but hell all you have to do is look at the UB Leaderboard and you can figure if someone is constantly in the top 20, they are making over $8,450 from their winnings. Sure you may lose it all back, but that would mean you still would have to file. So do most online players file/claim their winnings on their taxes? Maybe it's a dumb question.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, online money has a clear paper trail.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:57 PM

I can't read NVG and play poker at the same time. Reading johnnyhughes posts tilts me.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you Richard Hatch? The Survivor Season One winner who everyone in the f'ing world knew won a mil yet still didn't pay taxes on it and received a jail sentence for his actions?

This is the new leader for dumbest post of the month. If you are 'crushing' the 2/5 tables and pocket a few extra hundred a month and don't pay taxes, who cares? If you are a high profile poker player you damn well better expect the IRS to be keeping an eye on you.

I am sure Brian's name is programmed in some IRS' civil servant's crawler and any mention of him is lumped into folders along with every other high roller who sits down at a table with x dollars in front of them.