Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Re: 2 4/180 spots I\'m probably overthinking

The first hand raises an interesting idea of mine about 4/180s. Anyone else ever shove this hand here? usually in these 4/180s i'll over-shove with AK after a few limpers. I'm called abouy 60-70% of the time and am usually ahead or at worst racing. I usually execute this if it is really early, like first 15 hands when no one has any real reads on how i play. i think most people would be surprised how many weak calls you can get by just sticking it in there. It also only seems to work at the $4 level, 10/180s usually just fold out when i have tried this. any thoughts?

the second hand i feel is a clear fold. I insta fold that all day. I feel like youre just throwing chips away by limping and esp by raising. Always think about the situation youre going to be in later in the hand. by limping or raising this in EP you would have to play post flop OOP with very little room to maneuver in your stack. I also love the idea Chip brings up here about limp-steals. I have been noticing the same thing at the 4/180 level. If the limp in EP is to freeze action so you can steal an uncontested pot post flop then i am much more comfortable with limping as opposed to limping for the value of the cards your holding. i just hate limping, seems like its rarely the right play.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:43 AM

i like ur idea of shovin the ak u will be surprised by how many times u get called by aj and weaker and even hands like kj ive seen before after i made this same play (i do this alot in the fours and seems to have value but not much at the 10s)
Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 AM

1. Shove first hope to get called by a low pair or bad ace. Shove looks weaker than 180/200 bet.
2. Fold.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:37 PM

Hand 1: I raise to 180 like everyone else has said.
Hand 2: Fold
[ QUOTE ]

2. I disagree wit most people on this hand bc im raisin to 400 in this spot, i mean do u really think ur gonna have a better hand soon enough to where ur double is worth somethin. I mean u wait and get 3 bad hands in a row blinds come through and ur down to 1k ur double is almost pointless. Im lookin to get agg and double right here to almost 3k.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do not like this option. Why raise to 400? You are going to be pot committed with a 400 raise anyway. If anything why not just open push if you are trying to double up.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
first hand raise to 180.
second hand is a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-16-2007, 02:32 PM

I appreciate the responses, but most people seem to be missing the more important questions:

Hand 1: What is your plan for the flop, especially a whiffed one since that is what you usually end up with? (Although looking at this hand today I have a lot more chips then I felt like I did when I posted this, so I probably can afford to just c-bet and shutdown if I whiff)

Hand 2: If you fold, what is your raising range, and what is your plan (pre and post flop) with those hands?