Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Midweek AC Trip Report

Instead of my usual Saturday day-trip drive-home-middle-of-the-night-half-asleep report, this one is a midweek trip report. My fiancee apparently played enough blackjack and slots in recent trips to earn her two free weeknights at the Borgata, so we took a mini-vacation from Monday through Wednesday.

We both worked Monday and waited until about 5:30 or so to head out (from Eastern PA about 50 miles west of Philly), hoping to let the Philly traffic thin out a little. We stopped for dinner and still made it to the Borg by 8. Pai Gow and Poker until 3, nothing exciting. Went out 9th in a 10-man 60+15 SNG when I pushed my OESD into a boat on the turn. Ugh.

Up at 6:30 AM for a Boardwalk run. This was the trade I had to make to get the buffet breakfast. It would've been a good deal if I could drive my own car with any reasonable skill level. We had to drive to the Boardwalk of course, and in the course of parking, I plowed into the curb and popped my tire. We ran first then I got to change a tire on a side street in AC at 7something in the morning with homeless guys offering to help. Fun.

Eventually got the gambling started at around 10. Then I jumped in the 50+10 with a 50 add-on at 11 AM. 120 starters, I went out around 75th. No hands of interest. Got the last of my chips in with top pair against a set. Ugh again.

More 1/2 NL until time for dinner, with no hands of interest. After dinner we had a little time before the comedy show so I got some more Pai Gow in. Good run there and off to the show. One guy (Mike Morse) was hilarious, one sucked, and one was pretty good (John Pizzi). Back to the poker room and there was a 6/12 game going. (It rarely goes lately, one table when it does. Everybody wanting to gamble the sum of $200-$300 is on one of the dozen 1/2 NL tables.) I go play that for old times' sake. The players were bad just like the old days. My first hand I have J9 and flop A99. Check call the flop, check raise the blank turn, check call the A river. Grrr. Nothing like a good ole' two-outer to start things off right. However, about four hands later, I play 65d from late position. Flop is T55. Call the flop bet (same villian). Raise the turn bet while saying "no ten dealer" and he calls. River is the case 5. Check to me, I bet, and he says "you deserve it, so I call" and shows me a ten. I quit up ten bucks and make a run back to the 1/2 NL where the suckouts are usually my own fault. Play until I almost fell asleep at the table at 1 AM, the previous night catching up with me.

Finally, the last session got interesting, Wednesday morning. 1/2 NL from about 9 AM until our planned departure by 2 PM. I'm set just $76 for the trip at this point despite the tourney losses thanks mostly to good Pai Gow. I put $300 in play, planning to get it to $476 and call it a $100 win for the trip. Plans got changed however. I got caught up in a dispute over some loudmouth Jersey guy trying to come in without posting (which, coming from a broken 1/2 game he was entitled to do, had he managed to communicate that before going apeshit on the dealer, floor, and me) which threw my weak-minded self off my game. I tried to take a pot with JJ on a AxxKQ board against AJ with no luck. Then I tried to get another pot with 88 on a 3447A board. I had already added $200 to my stack and had about $170 left (or -$406 for the trip) by 11:30 AM, expecting to lose the rest in the next couple hours. But the poker gods had other plans for me...

HAND #1
MP raises to $10. I'm in the SB with 86s, so I call. Flop 975 two diamonds. I bet out $20 into a $30 or $40 pot, MP raises to $60 and I push. He insta-calls and asks if I flopped it. Yes, sir. Set of 7s no good, and the turn and river brick out and I've got about $350.

HAND #2
Next orbit, I've got about $370. I have KTo in the BB. Several limpers and I check, five or six ways to a QJ9r flop. I bet out, and one caller, and a guy two to my right pops it to $100. I push, caller folds, and other guy calls me, covering me by $20 or so, with Q9o. I watch the brick on the turn but I can't look on the river. Whiff! and I've got about $775.

HAND #3
Next hand in the SB, I have KK. A few limpers and I make it $10. Whole table calls, six to the flop of As Ks 3d. I lead out $50 hoping an ace will call, but no such luck. Up to about $825.

HAND #4
Bled down to $700 or so when I find 76d in MP and I call a raise from a blind. EP guy came along as well. Three ways to the flop of As 9h 8h. Bet, call, call. Turn is the lovely 5d. Bet, call, call. EP has to have a flush draw or JT, or so I thought. River is the Kc, so I'm still nutty. Check, check, and I bet $100 into a $90ish pot. Blind calls, and EP makes a surprising call. Blind claimed AK (sounds right) while I have no idea what EP had. Kh Xh maybe, but I don't know how he called on the end. Ah 5h? Ah Qh? I have no idea.

HAND #5
UTG with a stack of $1007, playing my last hand. It's 1:15 and I can still get a little Pai Gow in. Kd Qd is worth a raise to $7. Flop is KT9. Checked around. Turn is a K, and I put in a $20 bet which chases everyone but the BB. He calls. River is a blank and I just call his $40 bet. Something didn't smell right. I can't fold here I don't think, but a raise might be worse. What is he going to call the raise with that I can beat? KJ, that's it I think. He had the QJ of course, but I can't complain.

Cash out the $440 session win (+$364 for the trip) and hustle over to the Asian games. Start out playing two hands (always $20 a pop, I can't talk myself into $40!) then the fiancee starts playing one of them on my money. I finally lose at PG but she wins more, and a $38 win wraps up the trip at +$402, enough to pay for the tire and then some. From -$406 to +$402 in the last 2.5 hours--that's a good way to finish a trip!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Midweek AC Trip Report

Good Report. I plan on playing a lot of SnG's at the Borgata in August.

What did you mean when you said

"Everybody wanting to gamble the sum of $200-$300 is on one of the dozen 1/2 NL tables.)"
Old 07-16-2007, 11:03 AM

im heading to ac this fri and sat...what are the sng payouts at the borg? 1st - 70% and 2nd - 30%? Are people opening to choping up the cash three handed?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im heading to ac this fri and sat...what are the sng payouts at the borg? 1st - 70% and 2nd - 30%? Are people opening to choping up the cash three handed?

[/ QUOTE ]

The lowest level SNGs pay two place, 70/30 I think. The higher buy-in ones play three places. The three-way pay-outs vary by buy-in, but are heavily skewed to 1st. From my experience, people are usually quite eager to chop three-handed.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The lowest level SNGs pay two place, 70/30 I think. The higher buy-in ones play three places. The three-way pay-outs vary by buy-in, but are heavily skewed to 1st. From my experience, people are usually quite eager to chop three-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right, the $60+15 and $100+20 pay two places, and the higher ones pay three. I don't play the SNG's there often, but twice I've chopped the $60+15 3 ways.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good Report. I plan on playing a lot of SnG's at the Borgata in August.

What did you mean when you said

"Everybody wanting to gamble the sum of $200-$300 is on one of the dozen 1/2 NL tables.)"

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of years ago, the best game at the Borg (IMHO) was the 6/12. Everybody in the poker room with a $300 gambling budget was in one of the 6/12 games. Now there are a dozen or more 1/2 NL games going when there are no (or one) 6/12 limit games going.

So I'm just saying all those not-quite lowest limit poker players (which often means "players who aren't nearly as good as they think they are") are now in the 1/2 game. This is a good thing.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure there are three that actually run:

60+15 pays $400 for 1st and $200 for 2nd
100+20 pays $700 for 1st and $300 for 2nd
250+20 pays $1500 for 1st, $600 for 2nd, and $400 for 3rd

I was final three of a 60+15 recently, similar stacks. We took $200 each.