Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Fantastic call or stupid call?

Full background: 1/2NL at Trop in AC. Half way through my pretty long session (9PM-5AM), villain sits down in the Two seat with about $200 (villain is a well built Asian man, about 25, with dark shades and a very serious look on his face…he definitely came to play, not have a good time). I am in the Ten seat with north of $500 in chips. Over the first two orbits, villain plays two hands; both times re-raising a pre-flop raise with AKo and AQo. Then comes the next three hands (the last of which is the hand in question; but the first two hands should reveal my mindset a bit). Please note, these hands happened over about four orbits and they were the ONLY hands I played in that time.

Hand #1: I am dealt red queens in mid-position. Raise $20. Three Callers (the villain and the player before and behind him). Flop comes J, 10, 4 two spades. I’m first to act and I make it $50…villain calls, the rest fold. Turn comes blank. I bet hundred. Villain pushes in the remainder of his chips (I have to call like $10 more)…turns over KK. I thought his pre-flop [just a] call and flop [just a] call were weird…but he had the better hand. I’ll get him next time…

Hand #2: I have kings on the button. Make it $30. Villain is only caller. Flop come Ad 6c 10c. Villain checks. I bet $50. He calls. Turn comes 5c. He pushes all in. I fold. I throw over my kings in frustration, he shows me Ac7c.

Hand #3 (fantastic call or stupid call?): Mid-Position, I raise $25 with TdTh. Villain calls. A player behind him calls. Flop comes Qd, 9d, 6s. I check. Villain fires $20, other player folds, and I make it $80 to go [Insight into my play: villain likes to play AX…I read him to be completely weak, holding maybe A9 but more likely AK, AJ, or a small pair…I was wrong]. Villain goes into the tank for a few minutes and makes a call. At this point, I pretty much know I am behind (unless he is playing diamonds)…but can’t think of the universe of hands where the villain JUST calls, if he is ahead of me. Turn comes a big card for me to make a play with Ad…I think about it for 15 seconds and push all in ($170)..if he has the diamonds (Kd, Jd is really the only possibility. I’ll live with it) . Villain thinks for about 10 seconds (note: for his flop call, he thought a very long time) and calls, flipping over Qs Jh. Turn comes a blank (no diamond) and, for the first time in a long time, I speak directly to an opposing player after a loss:

I say, in sincerity “That was a great call, a really great call…how did you make that great call” He says, “ I read you.” I angrily respond, “How is that possible, the dealer complete obstructs me” [this is actually a point I should have brought up earlier, the very large dealer prevented the two of us from seeing each other…I had to move my head to see villain when I was deciding what to do…when the action was on villain, I stayed obstructed and he made no attempt to look at me.] He responds, after much consideration, “ahh, I read your bet man” …do you guys think it was obvious I was (semi) bluffing?

More importantly, what do you guys think of his call? Am I just angry about my loss and blowing the poorness of his call out of proportion. What bothers me most is the sheer number of hands I could have been holding that would have beat him: AK, AQ, KQ, Ax, any two diamonds, 99, 66, QQ, KK, AA…most possible with the way I played that hand and have played since he sat down….being a dog to so many hands and not having a diamond in his own hand, was villain right with his call?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Fantastic call or stupid call?

No, villain is a live donk. You are just over-reacting/steaming. Don't tap the glass, even though it can be therapeutic at times.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:07 PM

He read your soul. Unfortunately for you, this ability can penetrate up to a 325lb dealer.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He read your soul. Unfortunately for you, this ability can penetrate up to a 325lb dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew I had a leak in my game. Is it possible to learn this skill?