Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 AM

Default 100nl with unexpected bet on river

I can't see anything that I beat on the river that would bet like this esp. vs this type of player. Fold, agreed ?

Cryptologic - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $101.37
BB: $107.88
UTG: $129.70
Hero (BTN): $133.80

Reads: <font color="blue">Villain is 23/10/5 and hasn't stepped out of line as far as I saw.</font>

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $3.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $10.50</font>, SB folds, BB calls $9.50, UTG calls $7.50

Flop: ($32) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $28.00</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $28.00

Turn: ($88) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($88) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets all-in for $91.20</font>, Hero folds
Uncalled bet of $91.20 returned to UTG

Pot Size: $88.00 ($2 Rake)
Old 07-16-2007, 08:07 AM

Default Re: 100nl with unexpected bet on river

bet the turn and call a shove. i think you might be losing value if you aren't willing to stack off with AK on that board.

in this case it looks as though you may be beat but long term checking the turn is less EV than betting IMO
Old 07-16-2007, 08:23 AM

Ive had a few problems with AK on a board with A and Q. I have 3bet pf and then made a decent bet on the flop. What kind of hand is realistically calling me here ? AQ beats me AJ seems unlikely. JJ should be folding too. The only hand that I beat that seems likely is KK.

Why would we bet the turn and call the push vs. this type of opponent. If he was a little looser then I probably would.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:30 AM

Yeah, bet the turn! and then you have to call a shove. The reason why you have to bet the turn is that you want value from hands like AJ, A10 and the other reason is to make it hard for him to make this kind of play on the river without a big hand.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:21 AM

I think the hand was played fine. You can bet a little less on the flop since it was reraised, though the pot bet ok as well I guess. A 23/10 generally won't call a preflop reraise with AJ/AT and turn it into a bluff like this, same goes for KK, so you look pretty hosed on the river since what can a straightforward player be bluffing?.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:29 AM

wtf do you put him on to stack off here with ak? with the nfd then id consider it but tbh 90% of the time in this spot you're done. set or top two. fact. think you played it well especially with the read you have. oh and this is not aj/ a10/
Old 07-16-2007, 09:29 AM

I bet 2/3 on the flop, check turn and call river (fold to a really big bet). The board is dry on the flop and a big bet in a re-raised pot isn't likely to get called by many worse hands.

Given your play the river is an easy fold btw.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:42 AM

This is an interesting hand. I like your logic as to what is he calling with. There's not many draws. Sometimes in poker we just make some plays that seem a little non-sensical. Unless he is a really weak player I can understand his turn check.

It's possible he had AcXc, a set, AQ etc... I actually don't mind your fold, I don't see someone calling an all in with a worst hand. He may have AK (but then he might reraise preflop? I don't know the player).

I like your play. I'd fold to his river shove.