Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Re: No Love for Watkinson?

I see were I send money to help save the chimps, but where do I send the money to encourage the use of chimps in medical experiments?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:02 AM

I always remember Lee as the guy that got severely outplayed and outclassed by Doyle Brunson heads-up @ the WPT when he had a big chip-lead
Old 07-16-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if Ted Lawson is on the rail yelling like last year's PLO FT.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ted Lawson IS on the rail

[/ QUOTE ]

You can never have too many math guys on your side.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:23 AM

You guys know Lee's chimp Buddy punched Sklansky in the gut last week right? Officially the best moment of the WSOP.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not to start drama, but this is too weird..

http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/leewatkinson.php

[ QUOTE ]
In 2004, Lee was named Card Player "Player of the Year," after a series of incredible final table finishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

where's the o rly owl when you need him

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee's peers are certainly aware of his accomplishments, but I think if you asked the average recreational player/casual TV poker viewer who Lee Watkinson was, they wouldn't have a clue. If anything, they might remember him as the guy who blew the chip lead on the WPT 2 weeks in a row.

Of course, that's probably fine with Lee. He doesn't seem like the type of guy who really craves celebrity status.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 100%, but the problem is Lee didn't win POTY in 2004 (or ever). Negreanu did.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not to start drama, but this is too weird..

http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/leewatkinson.php

[ QUOTE ]
In 2004, Lee was named Card Player "Player of the Year," after a series of incredible final table finishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

where's the o rly owl when you need him

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee's peers are certainly aware of his accomplishments, but I think if you asked the average recreational player/casual TV poker viewer who Lee Watkinson was, they wouldn't have a clue. If anything, they might remember him as the guy who blew the chip lead on the WPT 2 weeks in a row.

Of course, that's probably fine with Lee. He doesn't seem like the type of guy who really craves celebrity status.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 100%, but the problem is Lee didn't win POTY in 2004 (or ever). Negreanu did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right. That was the year that DN won virtually every award on the planet. Looks like somebody at Full Tilt screwed up. False advertising FTW!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 06:20 AM

I worked for Card Player in 2004, and they used to have multiple players of the year, in different categories. Daniel Negreanu won the overall award, but there were also awards for specific games like Omaha and Stud. I'm willing to bet that Lee Watkinson won POY in one of the other categories.

Not sure where you could find those rankings online though.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:29 AM

When Lee stops hanging around Ted Lawson, then I'll prob be more interested in throwing some love his way.

During WSOP 2006, I personally witnessed Ted acting like a complete [censored] numerous times in different tournaments to different opponents. Yea, it's guilt by association, but, whatever, If my most public ally comes off as a dbag, I wouldn't be surprised if people weren't keen to jump up and down in support of me.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When Lee stops hanging around Ted Lawson, then I'll prob be more interested in throwing some love his way.

During WSOP 2006, I personally witnessed Ted acting like a complete [censored] numerous times in different tournaments to different opponents. Yea, it's guilt by association, but, whatever, If my most public ally comes off as a dbag, I wouldn't be surprised if people weren't keen to jump up and down in support of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats great (and what I like about him) as he comes off like he genuinely does not care if people root for him or not.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:29 AM

This $10 million bonus might make for some interesting "chop" situations. If Lee and someone else are heads-up, it would seem insane not to rig it such that Lee wins by promising to give 2nd place 6 million or whatever on top of the 2nd place prize. It may be against the rules- but for that amount of money- how could you not do this?