Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

[ QUOTE ]
How many pages do you think this thread will go? How many did you think it would go when you started it?
Is it getting more or less anttention than you thought it would?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wasn't expecting this thread to garner any attention outside 2+2, and I'll admit that I'm surprised by the interest. I think I would have preferred it if hadn't been so completely inundated with non-2+2 inquiries, but you can't tell people what to take an interest in.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:56 AM

Wow, just noticed this thread.

What was it like working with Godspeed You! Black Emperor? I always imagine working on an album like that would be extremely difficult, given their style.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:12 AM

Im an amateur upcoming drum and bass/ house/garage producer and was told that to make money i should cu my tunes to vinyl and sell them as white labels to a record shop...

Is this true electrical?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:06 AM

I enjoyed the thoughtful comments on Billy Corgan...what is the general perception of Liz Phair in Chicago, both now and at the height of her Guyville/Whipsmart phase. Also wonder what you think of Brad Wood as a producer/engineer? Thoughts on John McIntyre as a producer? Ever been to his studo...similar to yours?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 AM

Steve,

Any plays to release Pig Pile (or any of the other Big Black videos I've heard about) on DVD?

Have Shellac ever been photographed doing a silly walk over the crossing at Abbey Road?

What Song/Album/Artist is your 'Guilty Pleasure'?

I was once told by a band they "don't play a venues with plastic rooves because it's near impossible to get a good sound" - it that a load of bollocks?

I have a joke for you:

Did you hear about the guy with 5 dicks?

They say his condoms fitted him like I glove!

A Thank you...
Old 07-16-2007, 11:24 AM

Hello 'Albini',

Although you seem quite anti-digital, in respect to recording sound,or maybe just more so, music.Do you think that if you were in the same position today as you were when you first thought about recording your own music, you'd have embraced the technology - un-willingly or otherwise.Or do you think you would have still sought after, the more expensive,more cumbersome,more second hand (and harder to get fix with a steeper learning curve,especially these days) alternative, of analogue?

And as a "side question" your early Big Black recordings aside and with this:
[ QUOTE ]

No. A recording engineer isn't a painter. A recording engineer works (or ought to work) under the direction of his client, not ask the client to work to his direction. If a band wants a sound abstracted from reality, fine, but that abstraction ought to be their idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
- work ethic in mind.Does that mean you have never been apart of a "layered" recording before,where the band records not only separatly but to a click track? And if not, why not, and does it mean you would agree to be at the helm of such a recording if a band expressed the desire to record in such a way ?

Thanks, for your time.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:37 PM

Im actually really excited I happened upon this thread (through a completely different source than appears to have been mentioned) because I have been told so much about 2p2 but I never got my lazy ass over here before.

So, Steve,

are you a rabid music categorizer? Do you yourself fall into the music nerd category?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know nothing about the current British music scene. I just assumed it was atrocious, like it has been since the mid-1980s, the last time I paid attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of the Manics' Holy Bible? The last 20 years of British music has been atrocious?

For someone who seems to pride himself on economical, precise answers this one seems either lazy, xenophobic or stupid.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:16 PM

Hello Mr. Albini,

Listening to one of the numerous great records you did (i.e. heal all monsters by honey for petzi) with a friend. Snare comes in. Friend says: "Oh, Albini".

Of course, it's a great snare, and for most of the records you do it fits in quite well, but isn't it sort of strange for a man who so often says that he's "just a technician" and who seems to be pretty intent on capturing the band's own individual sound, to give such a distinct "albini touch" to the records he does?

(This is by no means an aggressive question, god knows I love your records!)

Thanks for doing this q&a thing by the way, and sorry for intruding on the 2+2 people so rudely...
Old 07-16-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know nothing about the current British music scene. I just assumed it was atrocious, like it has been since the mid-1980s, the last time I paid attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of the Manics' Holy Bible? The last 20 years of British music has been atrocious?

For someone who seems to pride himself on economical, precise answers this one seems either lazy, xenophobic or stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't ask a question you don't want to know the answer to, I guess.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson