Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 01:36 AM

Default AK oop preflop in 10nl

I am not sure what to do at 10nl with AK oop when 3 bet preflop. Ive been put in this situation many times and usually have little info on the player to work with since im just starting on Full Tilt. I hear people say a 3 bet usually means AA/KK only at 10nl and also have heard players at these stakes overvalue hands and it is correct to get it in preflop. Whats the best play oop with no info on the player??
Old 07-16-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: AK oop preflop in 10nl

I really don't think it matters what the hell you do here, just don't fold.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:48 AM

I think posting specific hands would be helpful, it's hard to give general advice in this situation. If it's full ring, maybe calling is fine, and raising allin on the flop on an A or K board. If it's shorthanded, maybe shoving PF is the way to go. Again, post specific hands for specific responses.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:56 AM

NLHE TAP Concept #22 is "Ace-king is a powerful 'move-in' hand, and frequently moving in preflop is by far the best play with it."

- AK doesn't play well OOP or multiway
- It's nearly worthless if it misses a flop
- It's unlikely to be in big trouble preflop
- It's only a slight dog to all pairs 22-QQ, and a "moderate dog" to KK, only "truly fearing" AA

I don't know what the forum thinks about this. I just read this concept recently, only tried it once, and paid off QQ. He thought about it long and hard before calling though! The book says that AA and KK make more money by going to the flop, presumably raised pots but non-3bet pots. Observant opponents may eventually recognize that AK is your preflop shoving hand, so they'll start calling with smaller pairs, giving them a slight edge. You can then use this to your advantage by shoving AA/KK, making huge dogs out of smaller PPs that call.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:11 AM

Again, a big part of how aggressive and confident I am with my AK is due to the number of players at the table. I'm just not confident stacking off 100bbs preflop with AK not suited at a full table. If it's suited I will be more willing.
At a shorter table pushing AKo seems much more in agreement with what you quoted from NLHE TAP. We have at least some expectation of being shown a hand that we dominate (since it's 10nl), and a smaller expectation of being dominated ourselves.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:44 AM

3-betting pre-flop doesn't means only AA/KK.
you can call or 4-bet here.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:10 PM

thanks for the help guys. I was playing 6max not full ring. Almost every time I came into this situation I pushed preflop. Ran into AA/KK a lot, but also ran into AQ or small pairs a few time. They hardly ever fold at 10nl.