Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 07:02 PM

Default 100-200 Live: Thin River Value Bet?

Got some mixed advice on this one from various posters so figured I'd post it for discussion's sake. 100-200 NL, effective stacks 60k. Villain is a mid-20's or so internet player from the Bay Area but wouldn't give his sn to the guy sitting next to me. All I know about him is that he wanted to play the 500-1k NLHE/PLO game in Bobby's Room but couldn't get a seat, so he's probably pretty good.

Anyway, he had been playing very aggressively and I have a somewhat LAGgy image. Two relevant hands: he raised in EP I reraised OTB to 5400 and he called. The flop came down A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and he checkraised my 3k c-bet to 10k and folded to my shove for 25k or so more. I showed the T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Another hand I raised UTG and he repraised OTB to 2400, I 4bet him to 12k and he laughed like he couldn't believe this sick spot and folded.

Anyway, onto the hand: I raise UTG+1 to 700 with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] folded to him in the SB and he reraises to 2400, I call. Somebody makess some idiot live comment like "you guys just want us to clear out and you two can play HU all the time? We're just getting in the way!" Nobody laughs.

Flop (5000): K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
He bets 4k and I float it.
Turn (13000): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
He looks at me, thinks for 15 seconds or so, and checks ina weird way (with his arms crossed, he taps his rib cage) while staring at me. I go "you check?" he says "yeah" and I think for about 5 seconds and bet 8k. (should probably have bet 10k but there were some logistics with my chips and I just decided 8 should do it).
He calls after just a few seconds of thought.
River (29000): A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

We each have 45k behind. Who checks? Who bets? If you bet, how much?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: 100-200 Live: Thin River Value Bet?

I'd bet for sure, esp given your history. Youngish internet player prob means he knows how to read hands and can call you down light if he puts you on a busted draw. I'd bet 22-25k.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:16 PM

I'd bet about 20k. If he pushed I'd be very tempted to call. QQ-TT seem very likely and if villain is who I think he is he's capable of some crazy stuff (and very good).
Old 07-15-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet about 20k. If he pushed I'd be very tempted to call. QQ-TT seem very likely and if villain is who I think he is he's capable of some crazy stuff (and very good).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-15-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is a mid-20's or so internet player from the Bay Area but wouldn't give his sn to the guy sitting next to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

GoG?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet for sure, esp given your history. Youngish internet player prob means he knows how to read hands and can call you down light if he puts you on a busted draw. I'd bet 22-25k.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-15-2007, 09:27 PM

i like the value bet. spots like this can send certain guys on tilt when they pay you off with a worse hand on the river. that's always a plus. i would bet about 25k.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:30 PM

The way you guys were battling, i was surprised you didn't bet the river. Your line would look extremely bluffy. Against most players I think a check is standard unless you don't won't to reveal your hand

I think I made the "idiot" heads up comment, I did laugh though
Old 07-15-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The way you guys were battling, i was surprised you didn't bet the river. Your line would look extremely bluffy. Against most players I think a check is standard unless you don't won't to reveal your hand

I think I made the "idiot" heads up comment, I did laugh though

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I'm pretty sure the guy who said it was sitting between me and villain. If it was, no biggie, we all say stupid stuff live from time to time (not that that was particularly dumb, I was just referring to the generic live comments that so annoy us online players). Just too much time sitting in one place I guess.

And yeah, I really wanted to bet (you heard me call myself a [censored] before checking) but I had a couple reasons I want to see if anybody comes up with.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:45 PM

my standard would prob be to bet 20kish

what are thoughts on betting something gay like 10k and snap calling a shove?