Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 03:49 AM

Default Re: .5/1 LO8 this is probably really bad

I can accept that folding this hand pre-flop is wrong, but it would be helpful if I get some more feedback instead of the "LMAO you moron it's ACES" approach.

A few of you have mentioned that you would play this hand "at this level," but this doesn't make sense to me. Aces want to be played with fewer people, correct? At this level, your raises won't really thin the field like it would at a higher level.

If you have 4 or 5 people to the flop, Aces are hardly a juggernaut and become very difficult to play. Equity is fine if you play all the way to showdown, but you can't really feel comfortable unless you flop a set. In this particular hand, the A5 low is pretty worthless 4 handed. There is a good chance one or two aces are out because 4 people called pf.

So what would you be looking for in a flop? A set (unlikely), flush draw (could become expensive if someone has nutflush draw), a second nut low draw if a 2 and 3 hit the board?

I just think by playing this hand 4-handed you find yourself in a lot of situations calling down with your naked Aces not knowing where you are at.

Feel free to point out my errors.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
A few of you have mentioned that you would play this hand "at this level," but this doesn't make sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can be a very expensive hand to play against tough and tricky opponents. If you are in a bigger game, you are more likely to be up aganst better players. So "at this level" refers to the level of competition.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:43 PM

The best play with this hand is to raise pf. You want to get it to as few players as possible.

Aces win about 60% of the time - and are statistically the best 2 card combo in LO8.

As Habib said, if you call the turn you should call the river.

You will be surprised at how often the opponent has missed a flush draw, was betting QQ or KK, or went the whole way trying to bluff you.

If you fold the flop it is not a terrible play, but beyond that see it through.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A few of you have mentioned that you would play this hand "at this level," but this doesn't make sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can be a very expensive hand to play against tough and tricky opponents. If you are in a bigger game, you are more likely to be up aganst better players. So "at this level" refers to the level of competition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, although at the same time, there's only so much maneuvering you can do with Aces against 4 opponents. While they may be 60% to win heads up, in my admittedly limited experience, I have found A2 to be a better two card combo in full-ring play.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:10 PM

Cap preflop, cap flop, cap turn, cap river... No brainer.