Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 03:29 PM

Default maximizing value for your sets.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

UTG (t840)
UTG+1 (t2360)
MP1 (t2180)
MP2 (t1900)
CO (t1405)
Button (t1385)
Hero (t3330)
BB (t2690)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t90</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t210) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t270</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t720</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: t1200

One area of my game where i feel i have a leak is in maximizing the value of my flopped sets when having pocket pairs. In this instance MP1 was a very aggressive player, maybe i could have tried to play it slower but scary flop with str8 and flush draws out there. Was the check-raise too much, seems like i c-r alot in this situation and they fold after this. Obviously in this case he was just c-betting and had either a J or nothing at all. What are the best ways to play flopped sets with PP. Seems that the only time i truly maximize my value is when they push all-in to me.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Re: maximizing value for your sets.

in the FAQ there is a post I think of strassa who exactly covers this point.
I think it was like dont always CR, a flop lead lets to pot grow much better from time to time.
given this i would lead weak here, like 120 and he will peel one card here with like 90% of his holdings.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:57 PM

in this case the c/r was fine for me - with this bad flop texture
with a better flop i like playing a call which often leads to a check on the turn and than bet on the river - this bet gets called often and you have won 1 bet
also depends on the villain - bet the tights and trap the aggressives
Old 07-15-2007, 04:50 PM

Checkraise means "I have a monster" So you're folding almost everything that beats you.

Really it should only be used as a bluff/semi-bluff on aggressive players online. Or if you're in a multi-way pot with a bunch of calling stations.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:04 PM

On this flop, you shouldn't even be thinking about maximizing value. You should be thinking "never give a free card to indicated flush and straight draws" (2 broadway cards indicates a straight draw).

Bet out on flop, 1/2 -&gt; full pot. I bet 2/3 pot.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:02 PM

yea i fire here and fire a decent amount half the pot or a lil more board is too draw heavy to slow play.

Also u betn out looks like u could b on a draw to the other people and might induce more action from top pair
Old 07-15-2007, 07:09 PM

Yea I seem to have the same problem with sets. I think you right to bet out here not check raise. If he has AK or KQ your usaully gonna be getting raise here. If you get called here you know chances are hes drawing and your not giving him free cards. You slow play here and a scarecard hits on you your gonna be in a bind.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On this flop, you shouldn't even be thinking about maximizing value. You should be thinking "never give a free card to indicated flush and straight draws" (2 broadway cards indicates a straight draw).

Bet out on flop, 1/2 -&gt; full pot. I bet 2/3 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry? If we arent going to maximize our value we might as well not limp a pocket pair, we need to get paid off to make up for all the times we limp and miss. The question is how do we maximize our value. First of all, against one villain Im paying off to the flush. We havent got enough time in this tournament to worry about this guy having two clubs. So the only big draw would be qj, and when i say big i mean 8 outs. And what are the chances of him holding exactly qj? not very high. So dont worry about betting so much, just lead weak as wutank said, and hope we get a call. Id say 100 would be fine, followed by a check on a non club turn hoping he hits his ace, or bluffs at us.

Against one villain with a flopped set, dont loose bets by worrying about a draw heavy board.