Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: my first poker books

The list of books you should read, in the order you should read them given that you are a NL sng player, with a few years of experience are imo:

1. Sit 'n Go Strategy by Collin Moshman
Although I haven't read it, as it hasn't come out yet obviously, there are no other books specifically written about sngs that are worth reading. Anything published by 2+2 (especially lately) is going to have the best advice around.

2. Harington On Hold Em vol 1
Intended for MTT's, this book contains a lot of advice that are applicable to SNGs (SNGs are tournaments after all, just single table), and the series is the best advice on Tournament poker period (earth shattering in fact).

3. Harrington on Hold Em vol 2
This might be your MOST useful resource. Intended for late in tournaments, there are going to be countless situations where the ideas in this book come into play. Pure gold.

4. Harrington on Hold Em vol 3
A book of hand examples.

5. No Limit Hold Em: Theory and Practice
While intended for cash games, this book will get you thinking on a deeper level about no limit hold em. This goes beyond "if you have this hand, you should do this". It shows you how to think about the game, so you can deduce your move in any situation.

6. Full Tilt Strategy Guide
Again more geared toward MTTs, this book shows some concepts that are new and sometimes contrary to what you will see elsewhere. I think this one is a must because it offers new information, by top players, that was previously not mentioned elsewhere.

Given your circumstances, you don't need to read anything else that is currently in print. Since you have been playing for a couple of years you can completely bypass Phil Gordon's series as they are pretty dumbed down.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:41 PM

As I said i have experience but as an amateur ... I never looked deep into the game. I mention this and said i need to start from the basic(math, theory and practically).

thx for your recommendations, more opinions are welcomed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said i have experience but as an amateur ... I never looked deep into the game. I mention this and said i need to start from the basic(math, theory and practically).

thx for your recommendations, more opinions are welcomed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, even as a previous amateur, you will be fine with my recommendations. You can skip Phil Gordon's books as they are written for children. Personally I read EVERY poker book that comes out (but that is because I am obsessive).

For math you can add:

1. Texas Hold'em Odds and Probabilities: Limit, No-Limit, and Tournament Strategies by Matthew Hilger

2. Hold'em Odds Book by Mike Petriv (you have to be a real geek for this one)

3. Killer Poker By the Numbers: Mathematical Edge for Winning Play by Tony Guerrera (which is surprisingly good, given that this series is notoriously poor)

For theory:

I already put in
No Limit Hold EM: Theory and Practice (absolutely mind blowing book, and will be your most important book in this area.)

You can also add:
Theory of Poker by Sklansky
While more intended for limit poker. This book is groundbreaking and essential to read if you want to think like a poker player.

For practicality:
Stick with my previous recommendations.

Good to see that you are looking to learn the game on a deeper level. Poker books will pay for themselves. Just got to weed through the bad ones.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:35 PM

thx dyinginabubble. wrote you pm with some more questions.
anyway more opinions would be good.

thx
Old 07-16-2007, 10:06 AM

still looking for some more opinions...
thx
Old 07-16-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No Limit Hold EM: Theory and Practice (absolutely mind blowing book

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?
Old 07-17-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No Limit Hold EM: Theory and Practice (absolutely mind blowing book

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean you disagree?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:18 PM

"help on getting a list of 7-10 first books"
It kind of sounds like you're planning to get 10 books that cover the basics. Im not sure you'll need 10 books that keep repeating the importance of pot odds, and when semi-bluffs can come in handy.
I'd recomend one book for the basics. Maybe "the theory of poker". This one will (hopefully) teach you a lot about the fundamental concepts of poker.
Then move straight on to the more practical books. I would recomend reading "Super System" and "Harrington on Hold 'em" early. If you're gonna learn, you might as well learn from the best.
The first poker book I ever read was "Super System" and I bought it a couple of months after I started playing. I never felt it was too advanced. I must have re-read the hold 'em chapters there 15 times during the first year I played. Its gold.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:28 AM

dyingin a bubble has it on lock, I have hoh2 and haven't read it, but have gone through most of them.

That list is the motherload, give that to a monkey and they will play decent poker.