Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Scramble - how low can we go?

Every year I play in a scramble at a wide open, 6200 yard course. Three of the par 4s are barely drivable (e.g., 320 or less), and on one of the par 5s you easily can cut the corner and have 120 yards in. Last year we shot -10 (and were definitely playing above expectation), but this year we have a different lineup, which consists of:

Me - usually shoot in low 80s, can hit 300+ off the tee, put a lot of balls in play off the tee but the bad ones are really bad, short irons are strongest part of my game, short game erratic but I have a big bag of tricks (not all of which work), solid putter from inside 15 feet.

Uncle - usually shoots high 70s to low 80s, consistently hits 260ish off the tee, good iron player (not quite as good as me), very unimaginative but solid short game, slightly better putter than me

Player 3 - shoots high 70s, like a golf clone of my uncle except with a better short game and better putting

Player 4 - plays once a year. Hits about 220 off the tee, long game is a little erratic, but has a surprisingly solid short game and putts about as well as I do.

I think we should be disappointed with any score that isn't in the 50s. My uncle thinks that we should be thrilled if we do -10 again (it should be noted that the only change in our lineup is the substitution of player 3 for someone who usually shoots in the 90s, but my uncle and I are playing about 5-10 strokes better than last summer). Given the above, who's closer to being right?
Old 07-15-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Scramble - how low can we go?

you should be disappointed with a score in the 60s
Old 07-15-2007, 10:32 AM

Scrambles are all about iron play, IMO. You're almost always going to get one good drive in play, and then you need to be able to give yourselves 10-15 footers or in for good birdie opportunities. I don't care how good of putters you are, you aren't going to be dropping lots of 30 and 40 footers. You say that you have three pretty/very good iron players - so I'd say something in the 50s is the most likely score.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
short game erratic but I have a big bag of tricks (not all of which work)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard a ton of people describe their short game, but this one I'll never forget.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Breaking 60 is certainly possible.