Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Beginner plays AK

[ QUOTE ]
i dunno for others here but for me ITH(internet texas hold'em by hilger) is the first book to get your hands on!

i feel SSHE(small stakes hold'em) is the best second book ever for the only reason ,ITH is a little easier to read(concept,nice Q&A after each chapter,etc.) and the preflop chart easier to follow for a beginner.
Of course SSHE is a better book with more stuff to learn then ITH,but ITH is just so easy to learn from, as a starting book,once u grasp ITH read,then SSHE will be so much better for u after,since u ll be able to apply SSHE to is full capacities.
Well for me it would of been if i knew at the start what ITH was instead of other worthlees book(ie: winning low limit...)

BTW,nh u played it correctly

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll tell you what MC, that is the book, ITH, that I have been reading most and bringing to work with me to read during breaks.

It is just packed with information, and looks like it covers pretty much all of the angles that can occur as far as types of flops, and jeez, everything else that I can imagine. Although I am just a beginner.

As far as reading too many books like people have mentioned, that is definitely true, but I want to get an overview of what different authors publish, and what different players are using to develop their strategies. Even though I have too much information to incorporate it all into my play, I stick with a basic strategy while keeping other information in mind, so I can incorporate it as it makes sense.

What I've done so far, is put more time into my studies before beginning to play, than I believe most other players have put into their games, so I can feel confident that I have a pretty good shot at coming out ahead, after standard deviation puts me where I should actually be, relative to how well other beginning players play.

I am really impressed with ITH. I'm going to get his other book soon on Hold'em probabilities.

Thanks for the reply
Old 07-14-2007, 10:32 PM

alexost, yeah i heard is book on probabilities is good,but trust me,after u read is second book,u seriously need to read SSHE,its just like having a car w/o the keys(SSHE), if u dont read SSHE.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:33 PM

Looks goot to me.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
alexost, yeah i heard is book on probabilities is good,but trust me,after u read is second book,u seriously need to read SSHE,its just like having a car w/o the keys(SSHE), if u dont read SSHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'm getting SSHE next, I need a book like that before another probability book anyway.

Thanks for the recommendation
Old 07-14-2007, 10:46 PM

btw alexost,u can have it freely on pokerstars with the fpp.....used them wisely...
Old 07-15-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So where would you suggest a beginner look for softer games? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I found the games at Party and Paradise very soft. Now that I want the five 2+2 books I was considering to play at Everest. Nevertheless, Stars is my home (I'm grinding 0.10/0.20, because I'm a nit with the money). It's best to learn when your opponents have at least a clue how to play.

Oh, and get SSHE. It's the best book for your current stage, and it's not even close. ITH might be a good start, SSHE tells you how to crush these stakes.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have read about discounting outs, and am working on incorporating this into my strategy. One thing I'm confused about is whether discounting outs is done in conjunction with- or separate from simply trying to put a player on a hand or range of hands. I suppose you do both at the same time, but separately, in attempt to figure out the best strategy.

Maybe it can be said that outs are used to adjust probabilities when figuring out pot odds to call, etc., and putting people on hands is a separate part of poker strategy, to help decide the best possible move.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you count outs without putting your opponent on a hand? In other words, if you don't know what you think your opponent is playing, how do you know what you're trying to beat?

Discounting your outs is part of it, too, except you do that for fear of what your opponent MIGHT have, e.g. your AKo loses 2 outs on a two-suited board when you're not holding the suit because hitting the A or K of that suit makes a flush possible. Discounting outs is a hard thing to learn to do well.

Edit: and for Shania's sake, please stop pushing SSH on nOObs so hard. That's a straight road to Spewville. ITH or even WLLH will serve them much better in the current climate.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: and for Shania's sake, please stop pushing SSH on nOObs so hard. That's a straight road to Spewville. ITH or even WLLH will serve them much better in the current climate.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITH is an excellent book, better than SSHE to get the fundamentals from. However, the text and the examples are tailored more to a bit higher limits, where your opponents actually HAVE A CLUE what the heck they are doing. Loose passive games = SSHE. If OP is planning to start at .50/1, then ITH. And yeah ... disregard the starting hand chart.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:47 AM

I have heard twice, from two different people on these forums (You, boz, and someone else) that SSHE does not apply to current on-line games. What gives?
Old 07-15-2007, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard twice, from two different people on these forums (You, boz, and someone else) that SSHE does not apply to current on-line games. What gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest first reading Lee Jones WLLH(I started with this one, reading twice). Play as tightly as it suggests. Then after reading it, understanding it and being able to really play that tight.. then read SSHE(after reading this, my games really started going well).

And people saying it wont apply, I don't know about that. They probably refer to people who read and think that laa playing is the way, without being able to really handle post flop(me?)... enging to giving money away waaay too much. For me though it helped amazingly. Not because of suggesting playing more, but with other concepts as well.

Cheers,
Ouzo