Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 03:32 AM

Default Re: How can you make money at 3/6

indeed. poker's beatable by good players. the rake beats everyone. either go to a site with rakeback or use FPP at Stars to get stuff. I'm getting a new TV.

Live, don't play anything less than 5/10 if you plan on making a living off of this [censored].
Old 07-15-2007, 05:20 AM

yes, its definitely beatable - online anyway.

A big part is where you play. Most sites are pretty even now in terms of qualilty of players so the next most important part is the rake.

If you play at UB, crypto, even party for example you are paying substantially more rake than playing at stars or full tilt. It may not seem it but it adds up quick

Rakeback to be fair is a bit of a con at most sites imo as according to my stats you are just receiving back the excess that you would not pay at lesser rake sites like stars. Full tilt is the exception here, but the game quality is poor - at least at the times i play.

So either find a site that has many fish and then rake is not a problem, or find a site where the rake is low.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:10 AM

You can make money at any small-stakes hold'em, if you understand how to play. You might not make it rich, but you can still earn. I just made over $600 this week on Bodog playing two 2/4 Limit tables at a time, with only 1 losing session. It was a real grind, and very frustrating at times when the donkeys sucked out on me, but thanks to "Small Stakes Hold'em" by Miller/Sklansky/Malmuth, I was able to beat the games.

I simply can not recommend that book enough. But you can't simply read over it once and then think you can go conquer the tables. You need to read and study it closely. I mean read it over and over and over until you understand all the concepts. Then you have to spend a lot of time playing and practicing.

The hardest part is learning to fold all of the hands that you most likely already play currently (If you're not winning at low-limit holdem, you're probably cold-calling raises you shouldn't, and limping into pots with hands you have no business playing.

I know it took me a while to get used to folding a lot of hands, and I'd want to kick myself everytime that I would have made the nuts had I played the cards. But you simply have to learn to lay down certain hands. If you follow the advice in their book, you should be able to make money at small limit hold'em.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can make money at any small-stakes hold'em, if you understand how to play. You might not make it rich, but you can still earn. I just made over $600 this week on Bodog playing two 2/4 Limit tables at a time, with only 1 losing session. It was a real grind, and very frustrating at times when the donkeys sucked out on me, but thanks to "Small Stakes Hold'em" by Miller/Sklansky/Malmuth, I was able to beat the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you mean "...thanks to SSHE and whole lot of good variance..."
Old 07-16-2007, 08:45 AM

Am I the only one in limit poker who has 250 BB downswings? Who actually does not win all the time? So tiring.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:33 PM

Default some content, some bad beat content.

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one in limit poker who has 250 BB downswings? Who actually does not win all the time? So tiring.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. In fact, I am running bad this month. I just dont talk about it when it happens. I'm sure a lot of other long time posters are the same way. It just doesn't do any good to talk about it, so you just ignore it and it goes away.

Here are a couple of hands from the last couple of days.

NL, I raise preflop with AJs, and get one coldcaller. Flop, AJ2rainbow. I bet, coldcaller miniraises (which he does with draws,) I push, and he calls. He has QT, and gets a king on the river.

Limit, I raise preflop with TT, Flop T52. Maniac bets from the BB, I raise, he threebets. Turn 9, Same action. River 8, Same action, except that I cap. Maniac turns over QJ.

Limit, Maniac limps, I raise with TT and the Ten of hearts, button threebets, maniac caps, and we see the flop.

976, all hearts. Bet, I raise, button folds, maniac threebets, I call. Turn 2 Bet/call. River 3 Bet/call. he turns over 54off.

NL, we both have stacks about 150 bbs. I am looking to take down villian who pushes anytime he has a pair. Villian open raises UTG, I make a threetimes reraise with AA, villian pushes, I call, and he shows QQ. It comes on the river, wouldn't be any fun to end the suspense before that.

NL, healthy stacks. several limpers, including myself with TT. Flop T44. Checked to me, I bet, raise, push, I call raiser folds. My opponenet turns over QT, Turn Q, river Q.

There have been a couple of other ugly hands, but I am down about 150 BBs, since Friday. Feel better!?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its common for me to have 40 BB downswings in a single 8 hour live session and for me to think i've played as well as i can play.

i cant imagine how common swings of that magnitude are online these days where the players have some idea of what they're doing.

fwiw my largest live downer over any period of time is about 120 BB.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:02 PM

yes, 250 is common
Old 07-16-2007, 07:19 PM

Yep, just starting to pull myself out of a 300BB drop. I'm actually in the red for "poker income" alone for the first time in five years. Thanks to rakeback and bonii, I'm still 300BBs in the black overall.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:10 AM

Sorry, my post wasn't meant to complain about a downswing or anything. It was a somewhat sarcastic response to bigslick.

Those last ones are the ones I'm talking about, Bob [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Anything under 95% equity is not a beat.