Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Regarding conscience and memory

Imagine that you are living a good life. But one day somebody tells you that every night since your birth you you have been taken from your home, and tortured the whole night. After that, each time your memory of the event was removed, so it seemed to you like you had just slept all night. There also would be no physical nor psychic harm done, the torturing would just be the most horrible experience you can imagine. You have no reason to doubt the person who tells you this, you are sure it is true.

How, if at all, would your life change? What would you be willing to pay/do to make it stop?

Would your answers be different if you would remember every time?
Old 07-12-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Regarding conscience and memory

If I don't remember something happening to me then for all intents and purposes it didn't happen. Why would I pay someone to make something that doesn't happen to me stop?

If I remember it happening to me than for the most part it happened to me and I would be more interested in paying someone to stop torturing me.

What is difficult about this question?
Old 07-12-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I don't remember something happening to me then for all intents and purposes it didn't happen. Why would I pay someone to make something that doesn't happen to me stop?

If I remember it happening to me than for the most part it happened to me and I would be more interested in paying someone to stop torturing me.

[/ QUOTE ]

change "night" to 30 years and "memory erased" to "given false memories."
Old 07-12-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And that changes it how? Do I have any indication that I have been tortured nightly for any length of time? If I do not why would I want someone to stop doing something I know nothing about? It would sound like a scam.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And that changes it how? Do I have any indication that I have been tortured nightly for any length of time? If I do not why would I want someone to stop doing something I know nothing about? It would sound like a scam.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You have no reason to doubt the person who tells you this, you are sure it is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that it doesn't change your answer is the point.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:52 PM

"How, if at all, would your life change? "

I'd go kill the people doing this to me.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:33 AM

booby traps for said torturers that holds them or knocks them out so I can spend a good coupld of days torturing them myself before I deficate in there mouth and shortly after put them out of there missery
Old 07-15-2007, 01:11 AM

Yeah, how does the torture affect our behavior?...
If I don't remember and it has absolutely no effects on me, I'm not going be very motivated to end it. My life is good, I am affected in no way. If I do remember being tortured, and there are exclusively negative results for me, which is as it seems to me: I'm going to be disturbed enough to seek out an end.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
All depends on the content of the new memories. If the memories are of some joyous, benevolent experience I'd probably be fine with that. If the memories are traumatizing then more factors need to be considered: "does the memory help me at all? does removing the memory harm me?"

am i missing something?