Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 08:03 PM

Default 180 man stars FPS/big donkey. any point to this?

I must look pretty laggy at this table, which is unfamiliar territory for me. vpip 35% pfr 15% im involved about 7 out of the last 10 pots and got no resistance or showed down a big hand.
i had villain down (rightly or wrongly) as a savvy player. He was the only other player at the table who`d made any steal attempts and had been pushing the table around whilst avoiding me

blinds 75 150 (ave tournement stack 4500)

hero (MP1) 6100 dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB 1500
villain 6200

2 folds
hero bets 450 (all my pfr`s at this level had been 450)
2 folds
villain tanks then calls
2 folds
BB shoves
Hero calls
action to villain...

I only called because i thought a thinking player might read that as i wanted him in the pot and make the fold.

i thought this would work because he tanked before making the call which kinda had me thinking he didnt like his hand THAT much

I thought if i shoved or made a big reraise he`d see that as i didnt want him in the pot and call/shove. And i didnt really want him in. i just didnt fancy a big pot right now.

Given that i`ve got him down as a savvy player and he tanked before he made the call and He`d been avoiding me upto this hand:

Am i thinking out of my arse and this is an obv shove. end.
or is there an alternative?
I appreciate im in front of alot of hands he might hold here and technically i probably want him in but i just didnt. So whats the bet that gets rid of him?

If it matters, we are about 30 spots off the money and ive been keeping the pots small all game
Old 07-14-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: 180 man stars FPS/big donkey. any point to this?

I think this is an obvious push. By just calling you give him 3:1 odds to call and he will with lots of holdings.

I think shoving and playing the BB heads up for the 3k is a better option.

I think there are too many flops you hate to let him in cheap.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:45 PM

The problem with pushing is you don't have a solid read on what he's holding this hand (only that he's a savy player by your belief) and at your chip position you don't want to be involved in a coinflip (As he is calling with AK, maybe AQ)

The problem with calling is that what if the flop is queen high, you could be ahead or not. What are your plans then, will you c bet or c/f.

I guess the lesser of two evils is to push, you know that you are beating a decent amount of his calling range (his call of your raise) and pushing will take him off AQ, KQ, hands that are going to be coinflips which you don't want. It's obvious he is only calling you with AK, KK, AA, qq.

On a side note I don't have a huge problem with folding as there is easy justification that his tanking and such was just a set up for a big hand, and that while you are probably ahead of the BB but theres a decent chance you are dominated by the villain.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:42 PM

what about this line of thought though?

[ QUOTE ]
I only called because i thought a thinking player might read that as i wanted him in the pot and make the fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought if i shoved or made a big reraise he`d see that as i didnt want him in the pot and call/shove. And i didnt really want him in. i just didnt fancy a big pot right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was trying to make it look like i wanted him in so he`d go away. Am i wasting my time with that?

The other reason for my call & not push was that i could still play a flop with him or c/f it if i had to thus saving me alot of/all my chips.
I really didnt want to flip with this guy. probably because of the position i was in and how i`d been playing up to this point.

yeah, this is starting to sound like a weak-ass-sneak-into-the-money strategy which i know is frowned upon around here.

But do i really need a flip with the big stack when the rest of the table is avoiding me?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:11 AM

I just call or shove into villain here. If villain seems like he can fold a decent hand (AJ+, 77+, etc.), I will shove in a heartbeat and isolate the BB to minimize my losses (if at all).
Old 07-15-2007, 01:27 AM

as the pot grows large play non-deceptive poker a shove w aces would have been reasonable so do it w jj .vulnerable hand not great multi way FPS AT ITS BEST HERE
Old 07-15-2007, 03:55 AM

i think im shovin this spot cuz im tryin to isolate i think the villain has a range of aq to a low pair like 7s so i think ur ahead of his range or racin so i try to isolate so my hand might actually win