Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 06:56 PM

Default raise flop with pair and flush draw?

vilain is 30/23 over 30 hands. Seems a little laggy but nothing too crazy.

Is the flop raise bad? Should I call down from the flop and raise only if I hit a heart 6 or A? River fold standard?

thanks!

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
6 players

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 6h ah
2 folds, Hero raises, Button folds, SB 3-bets, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 5h jh 6c (6SB, 2 players)
SB bets, Hero raises, SB calls.

Turn: tc (5BB, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, SB raises, Hero calls.

River: kd (9BB, 2 players)
SB bets, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: 1BB returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: 9BB
Old 07-14-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: raise flop with pair and flush draw?

Your equity against his range is more than 50% on the flop, not raising makes baby jesus cry [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your equity against his range is more than 50% on the flop, not raising makes baby jesus cry [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that is what I figured. Just didn't know if I am more likely to pick up more against UI hands if I let an aggro player barrel into me. I think I really just hate folding, but on the river 8c9c is about the only hand I could think of that might sem-bluff c/r the turn, but that I still have beat. so I figured the fold was standard.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:22 PM

I don't think you need to raise here always. You have an equity edge, of course, but raising the flop hurts you in a bunch of different ways. First, if you raise, the SB will stop firing with worse hands and might fold on the turn with a hand like A9 or KQ. Secondly, you are going to get 3bet by better hands like AJ, JJ+, and 55 and 66. And if you spike a heart, a six, or an ace you can raise one of the bigger streets when SB bets, extracting more value. If you don't improve you can cheaply get to showdown.

I think it is better to raise the flop if you have A6 no flush draw on this board than in this situation.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you need to raise here always. You have an equity edge, of course, but raising the flop hurts you in a bunch of different ways. First, if you raise, the SB will stop firing with worse hands and might fold on the turn with a hand like A9 or KQ. Secondly, you are going to get 3bet by better hands like AJ, JJ+, and 55 and 66. And if you spike a heart, a six, or an ace you can raise one of the bigger streets when SB bets, extracting more value. If you don't improve you can cheaply get to showdown.

I think it is better to raise the flop if you have A6 no flush draw on this board than in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my thinking aswell. I like just calling and raising if we hit.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my thinking after the hand, which is why I posted it.

If I called the flop and turn, should I muck the river when the K falls and he fires again?

as played should I ever call on the river if the K doesn't fall?
Old 07-14-2007, 08:08 PM

Flop is fine. More interesting is this turn, which I think LAG villain is C/Ring a ton.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:08 PM

As played, I think that folding the river is good. If the K doesn't fall (or a Q or possibly an 9), I think that showing down is OK if a bit marginal. You could probably flip a coin, say "heads call tails fold," and not go too far wrong.

If you play it passively I'd call that river. It's ugly, but you never know.