Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Beat: Experian Credit Report (Contest for $10)

Cliff Notes:
There are three major Credit Reporting Agencies here, Experian, Equifax, and Transunion.

Beat: Experian gives me a 545 out of a scale of 330 - 830 which is "Very Poor" (lowest bracket).
Brag: Equifax gives me a 743 on the same scale which is "Excellent" (highest bracket)
Variance?: Transunion gives me 738 on the same scale which is "Excellent"

Beat: The fact that Apartment management agencies tend to use Experian instead of the other two may prevent my lease application from being accepted.

It seems that someone else's credit information has contaminated my Experian Credit Report, the guy has a different name, different address, different DOB, different Social Security number. Different [censored] social security number, yet his default on a 25k car loan is in my [censored] credit report.

I was pissed when I found out about this, but thought it was due to a systemwide typo or something, so I didn't blame the credit agencies too much. Turns out only Experian is this [censored] up, yet they seem to be the one all the management companies use.

Shipping $10 on Stars to anyone who can write a strongly worded letter for me to use letting Experian know what [censored] ups they are (without burning any bridges, so be witty).
Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Beat: Experian Credit Report (Contest for $10)

um if you write a normal letter like a normal person they will remove this for you.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
um if you write a normal letter like a normal person they will remove this for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

A normal letter is when I want to dispute a credit card charge or a late payment. A 200 pt drop in credit because they're confusing me with someone with a different name, DOB, address, and social security number is not normal.
How does that even happen? I had to jump through a ton of hoops (SSN, Name, Mother's Maiden name, etc) to get my credit info, how does a simple typo cause this guy's information to get mixed in with mine? I'm not talking about one or two entries, it's 16-18 entries. Essentially systematic (but local to Experian).

Besides, this may cost me an apartment. It would take ~30 days for the dispute to be resolves online, less if I mail it (but still too late).
Old 07-13-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]that would be a pretty gay contest
Old 07-14-2007, 02:32 PM

I ain't writing your letter, but if you have credit problems of any kind, there's only one place to go:

http://www.budhibbs.com

The information on his site is totally free and VERY helpful. Go there, do some reading, you'll know everything you need and then some.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:43 PM

no a normal letter is what normal people do to get things resolved.

Do you really think sending them an angry letter will get it resolved faster?
Old 07-14-2007, 06:21 PM

This site has a lot of good information

Credit boards

You can also file a dispute online. Its very easy. You have to pay to pull your credit. Might be a free way to do this, but I'm not sure.

Myfico

Its not like you need to lay some strong rap on experian. All your letter needs to say is "There is a car loan on my credit that is not mine". If his name, social, etc is different you will have no problem getting the derog removed.

The 45 day rule is the maximum amount of time the credit reporting agency can take to investigate your (online)claim. In practice it happens much faster.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:11 PM

OP I had something similiar with Experian and I called in and disputed it to a live operator. When he looked at my info he practically said "oh shiat" that is wrong and it was removed within 24 hours. Just call them and get it removed.

-Brendan