Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: CBS columnist bashes gambling, WSOP

[ QUOTE ]
Just posted a response at espn

[/ QUOTE ]

Helluva column, Gary. Right on.

Three years ago, I was approaching 50, in a bad marriage and going nowhere. Aug 13, Hurricane Charley wiped me out. Lost my job and home. Poker saved me. I'm a different person three years later because I started studying poker. I learned a lot about math, psychology and myself. I came to Vegas a year ago with 2 suitcases and a cat. The past year has been the very best year of my life.

Those who write stuff like that have absolutely no clue what they're talking about. You and I know. Poker has probably changed many more lives for the better than for the worse. It's something even my own parents have trouble accepting, and they know me. Those who don't, would never understand. It doesn't fit in their preconceived notions.

Well done.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:39 PM

Check this out - it looks like Doyel's bio got hacked.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:18 PM

It's Gregg Doyel. He's the ZOMG I'M CONTROVERSIAL GUY!

He is a total d-bag, but he writes to get hate mail.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check this out - it looks like Doyel's bio got hacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It didn't. It really didn't.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, this guy gives no credit to poker as being a game of skill and experience, and seems generally misinformed as to the fundamental nature of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? By its very nature, after you account for the rake for the house, it is a negative sum game. If you are winning, at least one other person has to be losing. We all know that in reality for every winner there are at least 4 losers and that's a conservative estimate.

What is the biggest skill at poker? My guess would be table selection, you find people that are worse than you and take advantage of it, then you brag about your prowess.
In many ways, it's like playing a pick up game of basketball at the college rec. You go with buddies that are all in good shape, played in high school what have you and then you find an opposing 5 that are a combination of short, fat, Asian. You wipe the floor with them and then delude yourself about your greatness.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You go with buddies that are all in good shape, played in high school what have you and then you find an opposing 5 that are a combination of short, fat, Asian.

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF!?!?!!11
Old 07-14-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How so? By its very nature, after you account for the rake for the house, it is a negative sum game. If you are winning, at least one other person has to be losing. We all know that in reality for every winner there are at least 4 losers and that's a conservative estimate.

What is the biggest skill at poker? My guess would be table selection, you find people that are worse than you and take advantage of it, then you brag about your prowess.
In many ways, it's like playing a pick up game of basketball at the college rec. You go with buddies that are all in good shape, played in high school what have you and then you find an opposing 5 that are a combination of short, fat, Asian. You wipe the floor with them and then delude yourself about your greatness.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is a level it's pretty good.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest you also send a copy to the CBS Sports complaint section, I think this may get more weight this way, as I am not sure anyone but him sees his personal responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

LINK PLEASE!!!
I just sent the writer a very profanity laden messege.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:15 PM

This is the fourth time I have posted this link, and the last. If you do not find it on the page you are on, I suggest the back button.

http://www.sportsline.com/help/contactus
Old 07-14-2007, 10:53 PM

It's partly a level and partly true. Let's face it, without a rake, poker is a zero sum game. With a rake, the only guaranteed winner is the house. How do you win at poker, you make fewer mistakes than your opponents and/or you exploit their mistakes for more money than they exploit from your mistakes over the long-run.

As for deluding yourself about your greatness, that is a case by case basis. As has been pointed out earlier in this thread, there are some truely remarkable minds that devote a great deal of time to this game. I myself have a PhD and feel dumb quite often at the tables or reading this forum.

Peterchi,

sorry if the Asian reference offended you. I play basketball for about an hour every Saturday night and usually play against a few Asian people. (I was thinking of myself in the fat group if it makes you feel any better). The Asians (that I see on Saturday nights) are usually fast and can run all over the place but can't handle the ball and play defense poorly. They are also short and aggressive which pisses me off because I am 6'5 and weigh 355. When I get the ball I get double or triple teamed by them and they are enough shorter that swipes at the ball usually end up with me getting hit in the mouth or nose. When I go out later in the evening I am either drinking with a fat lip, a partial nose bleed or both.