Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Razz- Besides folding 6th, did I make other mistakes?

[ QUOTE ]
I like the raise on 3rd, but note that with all those low door cards & multiway action it's gonna take a strong hand to win this; surely a 9-high won't suffice, and with the dead 8's figure you're drawing to a 7. So the dead 3s (which are helping your opponents) mean you want to hit two of: A, 6, 7 by the River.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, because of you have 5 dead cards on 3rd, the reraise on 3rd is not so good because you are actually -EV in a 3 way pot against the two 2 3s ( Propokertools)

Your opponents have a playing advantage on later round because they are less likely than you to pair their doorcards. Also, by just calling you add deception, and make it easier to get away form your hand if you brick on later streets and other people catch good. Lastly, in a 4 or 5 way pot (which may result if you don't reraise) you probably have a slight equity edge ( Propokertools )

Carlos
Old 07-14-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Razz- Besides folding 6th, did I make other mistakes?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like the raise on 3rd, but note that with all those low door cards & multiway action it's gonna take a strong hand to win this; surely a 9-high won't suffice, and with the dead 8's figure you're drawing to a 7. So the dead 3s (which are helping your opponents) mean you want to hit two of: A, 6, 7 by the River.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, because of you have 5 dead cards on 3rd, the reraise on 3rd is not so good because you are actually -EV in a 3 way pot against the two 2 3s ( Propokertools)

Your opponents have a playing advantage on later round because they are less likely than you to pair their doorcards. Also, by just calling you add deception, and make it easier to get away form your hand if you brick on later streets and other people catch good. Lastly, in a 4 or 5 way pot (which may result if you don't reraise) you probably have a slight equity edge ( Propokertools )

Carlos

[/ QUOTE ]

A few notes -

1) the hero isn't re-raising on 3rd. He is raising the completion.

2) Another reason why it doesn't pay to raise 3rd street is because the opponents are prone to calling on 4th if the do not improve regardless of the size of the pot. The pot is already large enough that it may dictate a peel on 4th if you read hands well, you can skip the raise and therefore avoid bloating the pot. Oddly this argument is the same one I use for raising on 3rd when I am a humongous favorite - in that case I to tie the opponents to the pot when they are drawing dead on future streets.

PS - good comments in this thread from the usual suspects.