Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Re: aba caught bluffing against bobby baldwin in 1.8mil pot

[ QUOTE ]
One question about these nosebleed players I've always had is when do they decide enough is enough? I'm not talking about guys like Bobby or some of the other megamillion business types out there that play highstakes poker and have a career and income outside of poker, I'm talking about the guys like Aba who seemingly *only* play poker. If you win, say 5-6 million and you're in your 20's, why would you even want to play anymore? Take the money, buy a house, buy some cars, buy a business, and invest your money. I mean, we're not talking about $10k here. Aba just lost close to 2 million dollars in 2 days, which is more than probably 90% of the people in this country will make in their entire lives. Like Jamie Gold, the guy wins 12 million or whatever and he's just been donking it away in high stakes cash games.
It just seems to me that if you were a guy with basically no job skills, and we're making this enormous amount of money in such a short time, you'd have some realistic views on just how [censored] you'd feel if you lost all that money and had to hump it at a $30k job for the rest of your life.
I'm making a broad assumption here that these guys don't have job skills, but seriously, they aren't going to be making near the money in the real job world as they are right now in the poker world.
I've never played a big tournament, but I always thought that if I somehow donked my way to a big cash, that would be the end of my poker career. I'd use that big win to make me financially secure for life, and if I never saw two more hole cards in my life, I'd be as happy as can be.

Of course, maybe this thought process is why I suck and grind out low limit $10/20 limit games.

P.S., those who hate on Aba and relish in his losses are pathetic haters. Grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had this exact conversation with nonpoker friends related to business. I feel like the fact that I am of the mindset that if I were somehow make a few million dollars I'd never work again and just enjoy life, makes it highly unlikely that I'll ever make a few million dollars. The reason why so many people (poker players, business men, investors) make a few million dollars, then continue to invest large percentages of their time and money to make even more money is because it takes that kind of mindset (that there is no such thing as "enough money") to make the first few million. You gotta have that drive and you can't just turn it off when you get there.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:37 PM

Didn't aba also have at least one other screen name?
Old 07-14-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

another screenname from aba is:

moneyhungryhoe
Old 07-14-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

another screenname from aba is:

Heads-up Poka

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-14-2007, 01:37 PM

My take.

These young Internet hotshots who think they're the be all end all of poker just don't have the seasoning to really understand what the poker world is all about.

People like Baldwin have been around for a long, long time. They've seen lots of hotshots come and mostly go over the years, but nobody ever gives them any credit.

Some of these kids just think they know everything there is to know about poker. What with all of their two to five years of experience.

And some of them haven't hit the variance roller coaster on the downhill slope yet either. It can be a long, long ways down to the bottom of that hill.

I would love to see how some of these new superstars would have fared in the old days with Baldwin, Brunson, Moore, Reese, Zee, Zewin, Tomko, Chan, Ferris, Berman, Ungar, Strauss et al. There used to be some mighhty big no limit and pot limit games around. I used to watch these guys push around 200K pots back in the early 80s. What's 200k in 1983 worth in today's dollars?

I give these kids their props though. They made the money, and they've got the balls to step up and play in the biggest with the best. They'd just better be careful. What goes up, usually comes crashing back down.

For those who haven't read it, Bobby Baldwin's book, Winning Poker Secrets is a very good read. This guy's been through eveything these kids are facing now--and then some.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My take.

These young Internet hotshots who think they're the be all end all of poker just don't have the seasoning to really understand what the poker world is all about.

People like Baldwin have been around for a long, long time. They've seen lots of hotshots come and mostly go over the years, but nobody ever gives them any credit.

Some of these kids just think they know everything there is to know about poker. What with all of their two to five years of experience.

And some of them haven't hit the variance roller coaster on the downhill slope yet either. It can be a long, long ways down to the bottom of that hill.

I would love to see how some of these new superstars would have fared in the old days with Baldwin, Brunson, Moore, Reese, Zee, Zewin, Tomko, Chan, Ferris, Berman, Ungar, Strauss et al. There used to be some mighhty big no limit and pot limit games around. I used to watch these guys push around 200K pots back in the early 80s. What's 200k in 1983 worth in today's dollars?

I give these kids their props though. They made the money, and they've got the balls to step up and play in the biggest with the best. They'd just better be careful. What goes up, usually comes crashing back down.

For those who haven't read it, Bobby Baldwin's book, Winning Poker Secrets is a very good read. This guy's been through eveything these kids are facing now--and then some.

[/ QUOTE ]
im annoyed but too lazy to type why
Old 07-14-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My take.

[/ QUOTE ]
im annoyed but too lazy to type why

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess, it is about 'having played more hands online, more experience, having edge' and other bs..
Old 07-14-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My take.

[/ QUOTE ]

no one gives a [censored] about your [censored] opinions so please don't preface them with 'My take.' in the future because no one [censored] cares

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], NVG
Old 07-14-2007, 01:53 PM

Aba obviously needs to move up limits where they will respect his raises...
Bobby Baldwin is a calling station.

Keep your chin up Aba
Old 07-14-2007, 01:55 PM

Whatever happens to Townsend, he must be given great credit.

He stepped up and said he was the best NLHE player in the world, and he has been willing to back that claim with a lot of money.

Even if he gives up the game and retreats back to Full Tilt, he must be respected for trying to prove he is the best.