Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: July Thread for Very Important LIMIT Hold \'em Discussion

Played only 2 tables of 3/6 to regain some confidence today; and it worked, ran over 8 BB/100, made some good plays -- and some bad -- and generally had some fun with poker again. I also played very lose and didn't fold much. Time and time again I caught bluffs, which made me feel less like a fish showdown (d)monkey. So, all in all, I regained some level of confidence in my play. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2007, 01:06 AM

Pokerstars hates my wireless internets and has left me full of dislike and bile. but mostly sleepy. mmm, sleep. oh, and 1/2 FR players suck. Unless you're 2p2. In which case I don't recognize you unless you're a micros monkey. In that case holla.

How are you today
Old 07-14-2007, 01:21 AM

So I took JJH on in a 50BB HU limit game. He destroyed me. For this reason I will be in the donkey show for the next 2 months. GG JJH.

-------------

So I have been playing some micro NL25 and NL50 for an hour or two each day recently. Best I can tell I'm a winning player at these levels. Took a shot at NL100 yesterday and luckboxed it in for a nice win. I know I'm playing micro stakes and I also lack a lot of understanding, but I just can't understand how people can consider this NL game more difficult win at than a limit game. Maybe I'll come to understand it one day.

Anyway, I seem to be obsessed with open-raising and making 'squeeze-plays' with 27o and similar crud, and then showing the bluff any time they all fold. This never gets old for me. Geez, I suck.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just can't understand how people can consider this NL game more difficult win at than a limit game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got tired of playing poker yesterday, so I sat down at a 25NL table. I won one pot in my first hour at the table, and that was a tiny one where I flopped 2PTK against a ridiculously easy to read calling station. Aside from that pot, I saw two showdowns (lost with second pair once, tried to bluff that calling station (pre-read) out with a busted flush draw), and zero other turns. Mostly I just sat there and folded assorted offsuit crap.

Then I get three limpers to my BB with 97s. I check, flop comes 975 2-suited, and ridiculously easy to read calling station makes his standard minibet which means "I have a pair or a draw". I make the same miniraise against him that I did when I flopped that flush draw, the other two just fold because they didn't like playing anything less than an overpair, and he calls. Turn is an offsuit 3, he makes his standard minibet which means "I still have a pair or a draw & I'm really hoping you don't", I put in a pot-size raise because I know he doesn't have the straight (he would've reminiraised me on the flop with that) so I'm really only losing to 33. He reraises me (mini variety, of course), which kinda/sorta suprises me but I say wtf & push. He calls with 53o, my hand holds.

Very next hand, I find AA in the SB. Two limpers to me, including ridiculously easy to read calling station, and I actually consider just completing because I have had all of one raising hand so far at the table & I'm afraid everyone will just fold. Nah, I go ahead & make a standard raise, BB folds, limpers call. Flop comes A82r. Again I consider checking, but then remember that limper1 ain't betting anything less than a lower set (which he's raising with anyway) and all ridiculously easy to read calling station is going to do is minibet. So I compromise & underbet it, around 1/3 pot. Both call.

I forget the turn, joker of purple horseshoes or something. Limper 1 is bailing if I bet again & obviously doesn't have his set (unless he turned it), and ridiculously easy to read calling station is down to like $3 behind, so I shrug & bet $3. Limper 1 folds, ridiculously easy to read calling station calls all in with A9.

80 minutes to lose half my buy-in, 80 seconds to end up $10 ahead for the session. I'm thinking of challenging Ivey HU for bankrolls.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:23 AM

anyone still doing the digest btw?
Old 07-14-2007, 06:39 AM

Hey all, Been some time since i posted regularly here, but about time i made a reappearance. Not sure what this thread is for but from reading some of the posts it seems like the best place to put it.

I've been playing more poker the last 2 months than i ever have in my life before got in 82,000 of mainly 2/4 and currently running at 0.6bb/100 for that period. Not happy with that, but at the risk of sounding like a noob, the tables are soooo tight, with little table selection at the times i play and when i am beat in a hand i nearly always have the best hand - Noob rant over. At least i'm up!

Anyway, i was made redundant 2 months ago from a job i was planning on leaving anyway so was not a diappointment, but it has been proving seriously difficult to get a job in the same field so been getting stuck into some serious poker in the meantime.

Big respect goes out to the small stakes pros like Harv who do this full time permanently.

After 2 months of playing 1.5K hands roughly a day, i have lost complete motivation for poker and am now opening up the tables for that simple sake of i need the money until i find a job.

How on earth do you small stakes pros keep yourself motivated? Variance sucks but when its your only income how do you cope with that? Im genuinely curious about this. Even when you know your a winning player to be on a 200BB downswing to keep putting in the hours takes balls when its your only income. I definitely am not capable of playing poker full time mentally and i would not want to as it has zapped the fun out of it.

I'd always imagined how great it would be but for me it has been a serious let down. I cant wait till i find a job i enjoy and then play part time. (I never thought i would say that).

Anyway, though i'd get this off my chest. Dont get me wrong i still love poker, but playing when you don't feel like it is tough.

Good to see some old faces on here - hope your running hot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2007, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Big respect goes out to the small stakes pros like Harv who do this full time permanently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did. I'm not sure it's possible post-UIGEA, at least not if you live somewhere that makes you pay for the priviledge. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Probably short-term.

As far as the rest of your post, the trick is to take lots of breaks, as much as possible practice good table selection so you can afford to play fewer hands, and always keep enough money in the bank to get you through the rough patches. And, of course, run hot. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2007, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is this some sort of jaded effort to volunteer? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is this some sort of jaded effort to volunteer? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it was some jaded effort to get someone off his lazy arse [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] j/k
Old 07-14-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

james if you're too busy ill do it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

we need a digest!