Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Re: MTT 45 players - sit out first 2 levels?

I play alot of these types of tournaments, and my general and overall successful strategy is to basically play ABC poker. The blinds aren't big enough to make big strategic plays but I will raise from the button or CO with hands like J9s etc. Tend to keep the pot small and establish reads on your opponents in the early levels. But in general, I play tight, and if I do pick up a hand like AK and hit pairs on the flop, play them to valuetown and more than often, players will dump their chips to you with draws or weaker pairs.
It's worthless to sit out if you're afraid of getting sucked out with flushes or straights. That's how you double up early to make a good run through the sng. My overall strategy (however, more than often I'm playing catch up because I run dry early on) is to have 10K going to the final table (in the 45 persons). That generally sets you up to cash in top 3 if you don't get cooled or do something retarded.

But in cliffnotes:
ABC, limp in multi-way pots (IP) with decent drawing hands, play your big hands for maximum value, and get it in with the best of it. Good luck!

Hope this helped.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:07 PM

Play strong; the real money in these are hitting the 150/75 blind levels with a stack over 3300 or so. The tight players effectively bust themselves here, the loose ones get scared and tighten up. Throw your stack around here and keep building it up.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:17 PM

@elcastigador and mjbuddy:

Thanks to both of you, very nice posts! I`ll take your advice.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:07 PM

It's statistical that draws can be outpriced, no longer being +EV. So, make them do bad decisions..?
Old 07-14-2007, 02:00 AM

i have not read the entire thread, but i'd sure people have said the same thing i am about to say. i deff do not sit out. if you play good poker, you will double up a good % of the time. once you DU you can use this as an advantage throughout the tourney. so no, do not sit out