Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 11:34 AM

Default H-U sit & go Aginst out of control player

What is the stategy to stop a player like this.
Raises everyhand 4 or 5 times the blinds in position and out. Then continuation bets the pot or raises the pot if you bet first. I know it would be easy to beat this player if you got cards and hit the flop but most of the time you do not have a good enough hand to risk your whole stack. If you fold and wait for a good hand he should be able to sniff that out and fold.
Just start pushing preflop with semi-good hands? A7, 44 ect..
Old 07-13-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: H-U sit & go Aginst out of control player

At low buyins I think exploiting this type of player has two main components, tight play and super aggressive betting when you do play. Here is a play I like OOP. You pick up something decent like Ax, and he raises 3X - you reraise 9X if he james you call and if he calls you jam any flop. that's 18X BB in one hand, and he's going to have to win a lot of your blinds to make that up. Normally when players I'm up against will slow down after that, if not, do it again after folding a few hands.

If they're folding to you reraise, start reraising Ax, Kx, Q5+, J8+ and any pair. I often just pretend the blinds are 3X normal and adjust my play accordingly, eg. limp from the SB with a hand I'd normally raise with, let him raise, then reraise and go from there.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:03 PM

I assume you are playing at a level like $5 or $10? ,to begin, i usually tend to fold a lot of hands to this type of player, because he is most definitly play ATC. keep you rpre-flop raises to 3x,as to keep him staeling a minimum amount of chips early on. most times you wanna wait for a Suited ace,A7+ or another mediocre hand that is suited( to give the most possibilites of outs)like KQ,KJ,K19,K9. pocket pairs 55+. when your facing a massive overbet out of position against someone who is CONSTANTLY raising& re-raising you no matter what position they have, I like to push over the top with these hands. your gonna loose sometimes, but at this level you are gonna run into alot of suited connectors & junk like A2,A3,K5,Q9. ive even see crap like 32o, and they just say "hey i knew i was live". but at the lowest levels of blinds its not worth loosing the match and calling with crap. so fold more than you think you probably should and wait for at least the 25-50 blind level to start thinking about really gambling.
and when you flop big always let them bluff for you cause they always will. the theory behind their play is constant aggression will get you tilting and you will make a mistake. and usaully when it happens its a big one.
so thats basic knowlage as to what not to do early on against these players,IMO obv there are gonna be vairing opinions..
Old 07-13-2007, 01:39 PM

Basically Cold Deck this player is taking you out of your comfort zone and thats why it is working, I used to play a very similar style. Here though it doesnt sound like he is very good if he making pot sized raises the higher the blinds are the more you should back off and try and get info and pick a good spot, the shorter the stacks get the more often you will have to gamble with something marginal at some point. Just get as much info about how he bluffs and in what spots as you can and then pick your spot, all you can do.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it would be easy to beat this player if you got cards and hit the flop but most of the time you do not have a good enough hand to risk your whole stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

The key is, as soon as you realise you're up against a super-LAG player, lower the standards for hands you're willing to commit your entire stack with. 3-bet shove your K7 on the KT5 board. One constant among these types of players is that your shove will likely be called by hands like T8 or even something like Q9.

An recent example I had was against a player who, as soon as the blinds were 25/50, started overbet shoving the turn and river (3-4x the pot most of the time) and showed complete air every time he did this (while making standard bets with his actual hands). All I did was wait a bit and snap-call his twice-pot shove on the river with 2nd pair no kicker and laughed when he tabled something like 8 high.

Adjusting your play to best beat your opponent is critical in HU. Sometimes you just have to go with a weaker hand that stands to be best against a loose cannon and hope you're right.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:05 PM

i play 50's and try to play aginst losing players so that is why I run into maniacs somtimes. I just hate losing to them. Sometimes it takes a few hands to realize that they are really just pushing with nothing or really have a hand. At this point if I had nothing to fight back with I already sort of short stacked. Like 1000 chips. So I guess we think that pick sort of good spots and hope it holds up. Move on to the next player.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:51 PM

The main thing I try to do is figure out if he's going to fold to my raises (with my extremely tight image) or he's going to come over the top pretty wide or call, etc.

There are different types of maniacs and you have to use different strategies when cold-decked to beat them.

I've raised every 3-4th flop against some guys with rags bc they will respect the raises and then let them bluff down against my stronger hands. I've also raised my good hands and gotten them in against maniacs that will just shove any sort of draw or overcards, etc.

The point is, you have to know what you're up against and the longer you wait to figure this out the worst shape you're going to be in.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here though it doesnt sound like he is very good if he making pot sized raises the higher the blinds are the more you should back off and try and get info and pick a good spot

[/ QUOTE ]

cwar care to elaborate on why making pot sized raises is a bad idea.

Thanks