Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Taking things more serious

<font color="blue">Hi
I would say I am a fairly competent micro stakes poker player and I am tired of losing bankroll due to half assed play/concentration. I have decided to take my poker A LOT more seriously. I am going to start off with a $200 bankroll and play 5c/10c cash games to start with.

Basically what things would you suggest to help me in my quest to build a serious bankroll? Obviously I will be keeping records (probably using pokerdominator.com) I also have poker office, although some features are not yet working with my vista laptop.
I have spoken to a few people about backing me once I have reached a certain level, around 25/50c or ($1000ish) Thiis most definatly will help my motivation. any advice will be much appreciated. </font>
Old 07-10-2007, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Taking things more serious

All the advice you need is right here.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...e=0#Post3239210
Old 07-10-2007, 10:09 AM

I have the exact same problems. I get bored and move up limits sometimes a i move up 3 or 4 levels a day, obviously end up busto. I wish i had the discipline to play at micro limits.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Thanks matt there is some real good pieces in there.

Im sure I will be back posting questions about this real soon, I hope to start my full on bankroll attack in around a week or so.

Dealor, just an idea, why not set yourself goals and not allow yourself from sidetracking, write them down have them in view while you play
Good luck anyway
Old 07-10-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have the exact same problems. I get bored and move up limits sometimes a i move up 3 or 4 levels a day, obviously end up busto. I wish i had the discipline to play at micro limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you multitabling? I find that keeps me from getting bored.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:12 PM

sometimes i play 2 but not very often, never played with more than that. dont think i could play with like 6 tables going like some people do.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:09 PM

I too had/have the same problem. I do get bored with no action for a while, tilt it a little, or just move up in levels. I have lost $1,500 to begin my poker career (a short 5 months ago almost)

So about 1.5 weeks ago, I decided to get serious. I put in hopefully the last 100$ into poker I will ever have to put in. I've finally decided to use proper bankroll management, and stopped stupidly buying into tournies i'm not rolled for.

I started (and am still) playing 5NL on PS. Right now, on just over 4,000 hands, I have won $48.76 and my BR is at $141.41 (due to the $5 fee for epassporte to load money and a couple of $1 NL tournies i didn't cash in). I want to play at least 10k hands at the 5NL just for the practice before I move up, so I got a couple more weeks (so long as I don't lose any money).

So to both of us, I wish good look in our quest
Old 07-13-2007, 06:34 PM

Well after a few hours play I am up $40 on my $200 initial Bankroll, which is obviously great.

But I am strugling to stop thinking about what effects loosing a big pot will have on my bankroll even if it under 5% of my bankroll.

Any tips of how to take the fear away?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well after a few hours play I am up $40 on my $200 initial Bankroll, which is obviously great.

But I am strugling to stop thinking about what effects loosing a big pot will have on my bankroll even if it under 5% of my bankroll.

Any tips of how to take the fear away?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only play at a level you're comfortable at. If that means stepping down to NL5 or NL10 for a little while, do it.

Always have at least 20 buy-ins for the level you're at if you think you are as good or better than the average person at that level. If you think the level is challenging, make sure you have at least 30 buy-ins.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have spoken to a few people about backing me once I have reached a certain level, around 25/50c or ($1000ish) Thiis most definatly will help my motivation. any advice will be much appreciated. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

It may indeed be the case that you'll think "I'd better not watch TV while playing now... It's not just my money I'm messing with!" and you can keep motivated by utilizing a backer. But that's not guaranteed.

Getting rid of some of your risk may make you play more carefree than you used to since you'll only lose/gain a portion of the chips you risk instead of all of them. Likewise, your incentive to make the correct decisions in tough spots will fall since you'll get a smaller reward for doing so. This is the sort of crap we study in PhD level econ, so just keep an eye out for it.