Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Deadlifts and the lower back

Hi All,

I'm a lifting beginner, just started the Rippetoe routine listed in the FAQ at my local gym. This is week 3, and I've been seeing quick improvement in my squat and DL numbers (120 and 195, respectively), and slow improvement in my bench (stalled at 65).

This morning was squat/DL/bench day. I started with squats, then progressed to the DL using the same weight as my Monday routine (195), planning on increasing after my first 5 reps. My lower back has been bothering me from the small of the back to just under the ribs. When I tried to lift, I started with my legs and hips, but as soon as I engaged my back my lower back gave out. I lower the weight by 20 pounds and could make out three reps before the pain was too much. I threw in the towel and moved to the bench (and made up the lack of lifts by ending with 3x5 power cleans @75lbs ...cleans are fun!)

My question is, should I be engaging my lower back in the DL? Or should it be all in the hips and the shoulders? Is there a specific problem in my form that this could indicate?

As an aside, I think my back problems come from a problem with my squat form. With heavier weights I would rock forward in the hole and start to come up on my toes. This led to me rounding my back and having to unround it to finish the squat, putting strain on the shoulders/back instead of my legs. Looking up when I squat and putting the bar farther down my shoulders instead of on top of the traps has partially fixed this, but I still tend to rock forward when putting more weight on the bar.

I'll have to borrow a digital camera and tape my motions. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Deadlifts and the lower back

well you aren't following ripptoe to a T.

Order is Squat / Bench / DL so that way you're legs are recovered enough after the squats to do deads.

Also, when moving up you aren't supposed to do 5xprevious weight then move up 5 lbs and do 3 sets at that. all your work sets should be the same, warmup sets should just warm you up.

Deads I just kinda squat down, chest up, keeping the arch and pick it up. I think your form could use some work but hard to describe in words, watch some videos. But they are definitely all in your back in legs, you should definitely feel it but maybe going from squats to deads is too much
Old 07-13-2007, 04:31 PM

You don't start by rising your hips. Your hips should never rise faster than your shoulders.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't start by rising your hips. Your hips should never rise faster than your shoulders.

[/ QUOTE ]

DING! Sounds like Thremp hit your problem. Don't think about engaging the lower back by pulling your body upright. These aren't good mornings. Just stand up.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DING! Sounds like Thremp hit your problem. Don't think about engaging the lower back by pulling your body upright. These aren't good mornings. Just stand up.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I lift, I like to think that im trying to drive my heels through the floor, rather than trying to lift the weight. Think that the bar is stationary, and you are trying to bust through to the basement of the gym.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I lift, I like to think that im trying to drive my heels through the floor, rather than trying to lift the weight. Think that the bar is stationary, and you are trying to bust through to the basement of the gym.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so the movement should start with the legs and feel like standing up. I need to get my shins closer to the bar then and press down so I'm not tempted to cheat with the back. Then the back should just follow, yes?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:04 PM

WTF? Didn't I just say don't start by rising your hips?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats good advice. I also find it helpful to look at the corner where the wall meets the ceiling. It's a lot harder to round your back if you are looking up.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:42 AM

Yeah I too like to look at the ceiling while doing deadlifts (and squats for that matter). I also second the whole drive your heels through the floor concept as well. When I changed my mind to that train of though I added about 25 pounds on my deads in 2 workouts.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:26 PM

Also agree on that. It applies to lifting with your lower body in general. You are advised to do that with kettlebell swings, too, which are supposed to use almost entirely your lower body to generate momentum. Even without lifting your heels off the ground, the driving power down into the heels can make a concussion you can hear on each swing.