Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 05:18 PM

Default what to eat for dinner?

Hello All – thanks for taking the time to read this post; it’s my first post in this section and I hope to become a contributor here soon instead of just a lurker. I am 21 years old 5 10 and overweight. I was always a bit overweight, but nothing too bad. My senior year I was about 165. I then got to college (where I went from playing 3 sports year-round to playing poker 10hrs a day) and skyrocketed in weight. At this time, three years after high school I am 231lbs. I live in Florida and hate it because I can’t get full use of the beaches, pools, or women . I have been doing well the first three days and have ate pretty healthy and worked out routinely. However I have a question. I am getting bored of the same dinner. It’s basically been grilled chicken, green beans, and a salad every night. I was wondering if I could eat the food that my mother makes for the whole family. For instance, tonight is lasagna. Last night was meatloaf, and tomorrow will probably be like steak. I know I definitely can’t have the fatty sides they’re having such as rice a roni, potatoe salad and such; but what if I eat the entrée she makes and then just healthier sides on my own. Thanks in advance.

Klaching
Old 07-12-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Re: what to eat for dinner?

You probably cannot eat what your parents are making. It's the toughest part about losing weight. You absolutely have to count calories, eat between 1800 and 2k cals/day, and eating lasagna and meatloaf won't help you.

There are different options for food. I eat a lot of extra lean ground beef that you can get from walmart (it has the purple sticker on it). Only 560 calories for a full lb of beef. Just cook it using calorie free cooking spray like pam.

Just eat lean meats with no oil or anything and lots of steamed veggies. When you start shopping on your own, you'll find tons of low calorie foods that fit into your requirements.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:33 PM

Heck your young and it will be easier. Also you live in a warm climate by the beach. I am jeolus as I have snow 7 months a year. Dinner is only one meal. Why not ask your mom to make the meatloaf with lean ground beef or buy a lean steak 8oz. A lean steak is just as good as chicken werll almost. I but 8 oz NY from the butcher and BBQ them. I just started the steamed vegies too and I actually love em Steamed Brocoli the best.

Does your mom know your trying to loose the weight? If she did I am sure she would help cook better foods for you. Just trade of and do some cleaning or laundry for her.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:54 PM

If you are at 5'10" 230, you should make yourself get serious about a diet. Regardless of what you are eating, portion control is very important. Eat small meals and count your calories for the first few weeks. Dinner ideas:

Tuna / Chicken Salad
Fajitas (no sour cream / minimal low-fat cheese)
Fish (I eat lots of salmon)
Pork Chops
Stir-Fry (cook lots and then save for future meals)

Vary your prep. Use different sauces and marinades. Meatloaf should be fine depending on how it's prepared. I'd say your mother's lasagna won't fit your diet.

It sucks if you are dieting to be around your family when they are eating cheeseburgers, mashed potatoes and gravy, french fries, etc. Working your schedule around all of this will be well worth it a few months from now once you start to tone up.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:40 AM

Big en-oh to the lasagna. Actually, I can't think of many other home-cooked meals that would be worse from a weight-loss perspective.

Eat the steak though. Nothing in a box or can.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:26 AM

"Nothing in a box or can."

can't agree with this...there are things that come in a can that can be very good for you...namely tuna or salmon and beans...these things are super good for...
Old 07-13-2007, 12:42 PM

Yeah that's true, actually I'm not sure what I was thinking with the "can" part. Avoiding boxed food is a good rule-of-thumb though.