Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 02:06 AM

Default Re: WSOP player claims he folded AA on the bubble

[ QUOTE ]
if ure planning on folding AA on the bubble then dont go to the ME at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're planning to never ever fold AA on the bubble no matter the circumstance, then you shouldn't go to ME at all either, at least not until you learn the basics of ICM theory. Making -$EV plays is not how you make money in the long run.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
shouldn't he get the soft play penalty for folding the nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you on crack?

[/ QUOTE ]

They should institute softplay penalties for playing any hand in a fashion that a panel of David Sklansky, Phil Ivey and Howard Lederer wouldn't describe as optimal.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alfred Megrabyan Survives with Jacks

Alfred Megrabyan shoved all in with J-J. He was called by a player with {A-Hearts}{9-Clubs}. Alfred Megrabyan's Jacks held up and he survived on the bubble.

"Man, that takes a lot of balls," said one player from an adjacent table who admitted he folded A-A at least once over the last thirteen hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to start one of these threads, but this was just on the Card Player update. They're one from the money in the WSOP main event and playing hand-by-hand. This is still a very -EV play. Did I miss something. Does anybody think this guy is lying?

[/ QUOTE ]

This situation is discussed in Skalnsky's tournament book, its absolutely +EV, especially with the WSOP format. He shouldn't be taking risks at this stage if the result may knock him out. Once the bubble is complete then he can start using his muscle again.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
shouldn't he get the soft play penalty for folding the nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you on crack?

[/ QUOTE ]

They should institute softplay penalties for playing any hand in a fashion that a panel of David Sklansky, Phil Ivey and Howard Lederer wouldn't describe as optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL 1 hour in and 90% of the field is already waiting out their penalties.

Obviously (well most likely I guess), this guy's only concern was making the money irrespective of the circumstances. To him, folding here is +EV. People keep assuming that other people think rationally..LOL Ironicaments [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

There are countless situations where this fold is truly +EV w/out even having to do much considerations for position or stack sizes.

But..

Folded to me on the BTN w/ AA and a small stack.

SB and BB both have 300BBs.

I also have a $750K prop bet w/ Curtains that I can finish ITM. Pretty easy fold. I win the bet and then play chess w/ Curtains for $50K.... Only way for me to win is if I get king odds...LOL
Old 07-13-2007, 03:56 AM

I heard from another player I know that on the bubble at his table someone pushes preflop with AA and then showed his hand with people left to act because he didn't want a call. Then he got a 1 round penalty.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:59 AM

The only situation I can think of where folding AA preflop would be better than calling or going all in is if you are so hopelessly shortstacked and were on the bubble and it was obvious that somebody was going to go out that hand and you would slip into the money. It's a pretty rare thing and I'd still rather go out with AA than guaranteeing that I make my buyin back.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard from another player I know that on the bubble at his table someone pushes preflop with AA and then showed his hand with people left to act because he didn't want a call. Then he got a 1 round penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems like a pretty dumb penalty, because it's still +EV (though not optimal). Assuming everyone folds, and no one will have the odds to call AA usually, you pick up the blinds and antes for an entire orbit - the entire orbit you'll be sitting out for - plus any money from previous limps or raises. Thus, you get basically a walk for the next orbit, which is precisely what you want, since if you're close to the bubble, a full orbit will probably be enough to get you ITM.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:40 AM

An old guy at my table open folded kings. OTH, he was the worst player i have EVER seen, and that was the best play he made all day. He lost 250k in the hour or so leading to the bubble and folding was def correct for him.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I can understand why someone would do this...20K is a pretty big bubble. Folding AA on the bubble is a pretty surefire sign that you're playing in a tournament too big for your bankroll, but that is probably true for a lot people in the Main Event.

What I don't understand is...if you are planning to fold AA preflop, why even look at your cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's critical that you look so that when you're on your blinds, the other people don't know that you're planning to fold AA preflop.

Lori
Old 07-13-2007, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What I don't understand is...if you are planning to fold AA preflop, why even look at your cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

there was a really shortstacked player at my table who stopped looking at his cards when we were a few players from the money. wehn the bubble burst, he went allin the next hand with trash, busted out, shook everyone's hand, and went away happy. said he'd spent $8 qualifying, and if he came back with $20K, his wife would get off his back about playing poker